Val B
Val B, Analyst / Trainer
Experience:  Expert in solving Microsoft Office problems.
36150026

Can you help me import my saved outlook office data from my

Customer Question

Can you help me import my saved outlook office data from my old machine to my new machine? I previously had 2003, but I want to import it into 2010. I saved all the data on an external storage device, but it doesn't seem like I can get 2010 working right.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Val B replied 2 years ago.

Val B :

Hello, how did you save the information from 2003 onto the external drive? In a PST file?

Customer:

When I saved the information, four PST files were created: archive, backup, Current, and Outlook. All four of them are PST files. The first three are very small. The one called Outlook is 5,249,681 KB.

Val B :

Do you get an error when you try to import the mail?

Customer:

No, but the mail didn't import. Also I am unable to use Outlook 2010 for my current mail in the same way that I previously used 2003. In the past I always deleted old mail from my email account and Outlook 2003 would save it there. Now everytime I import/export, Outlook syncs and deletes any emails that I have deleted from my gmail account.

Val B :

Ok, lets work on the mail import first and then we'll check the settings for the sync.

Customer:

ok

Val B :

Did you use the import wizard to import your contacts?

Customer:

I think so. Actually I did this about three months ago, and I can't exactly remember.

Customer:

I don't mind doing it all over again, because my contacts and my calendar are both backed up on my iPhone. It will be easy for me to straighten them out later, if I can get my mail working properly.

Val B :

And is this a personal email account or is it Microsoft Exchange from your work?

Customer:

personal

Val B :

Ok let's try the wizard, in Outlook click on File > Open > Import

Val B :

Choose Import from another program or file

Val B :

Choose Personal Folder File (.pst) then browse to the location of our Outlook.pst file on the external drive

Customer:

ok

Val B :

Set the options to include subfolders

Val B :

and Import into same folders in

Customer:

Should I choose Outlook Data File (.pst)

Val B :

Yes

Customer:

I only see three items: replace duplicates with items imported, allow duplicates to be created, do not import duplicates. I don't see any option to include subfolders and Import into same folder in

Val B :

Alright I would recommend "do not import duplicates"

Customer:

now importing inbox. seems to be taking a while. it's a lot.

Val B :

Thats good it was a big file.

Val B :

I assume you already setup a new Outlook profile with your email information?

Customer:

how do I do that? Not sure if I did or not.

Val B :

We can check when you're done with this

Customer:

Sorry. still waiting for import. is it supposed to take this long?

Val B :

You can check your email profile while the import is going on. Click on Start > Control Panel > Mail. Click Show Profiles then Add to add a new profile

Val B :

It's probably going to take awhile for the import. If you want to let it run we can come back on in the morning and check it.

Val B :

After you add a new profile, name it and then type in your name, email address and password. Outlook should setup your profile and email account automatically.

Customer:

Control panel doesn't show Mail.

Customer:

I think it has to do with Windows 7 on this new machine. How do I get there in Windows 7?

Val B :

Hold on i'm trying to find out on my Windows 7 pc

Customer:

It's noon where I am at. Where are you?

Val B :

It's midnight here, I'm in the USA in Illinois

Customer:

Oh. Are you still awake enough to work on this?

Val B :

Sure :)

Val B :

Try going to Control Panel and in the search bar type Mail and see if that brings it up so you can check your profile

Customer:

Ok, that worked. My profile is there. It says it's an IMAP/SMTP (send from this account by default) type account. It delivers to Microsoft\Outlook\XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX(2).pst. Is that what I want? Why is there a (2)?

Val B :

Probably with the multiple import tries it created the (2) .pst file. That sounds right, you can delete the other one later after you check everything out.

While you're in there check the option that says "Leave on server" so our you can delete from Gmail but they should still be in Outlook.

Customer:

I don't see such an option. Where do I find it?

Val B :

Try highlighting your profile and then clicking on Properties to get to more settings

Val B :

Is the import still importing?

Customer:

The light is still flashing on the external device, but I seem to have lost the bar that indicates the progress.

Val B :

If the light is still flashing it's probably working. Sometimes Windows will tell you programs arent responding when they're taking a long time but they still are.

Val B :

Were you able to find the settings in your profile to save the emails on the server?

Customer:

I am working on the settings for deleted mail. I have it set to save deleted mail in my Gmail inbox. Why do I have two sets of mail. I have Outlook Data file and Gmail. I didn't have two sets of mail in my previous system.

Val B :

Let me check into it a bit

Val B :

Do you have another email address besides the Gmail one?

Customer:

I only have one email address. What about the box in the deleted items area that says "Purge items when switching folders while online." Do I check or uncheck this box? I don't know what it means.

Val B :

I'd leave that one unchecked, purging is permanently deleting items that have been deleted. When the import is done you can check the properties in both of the email profiles and see why there are two, and delete one.

Customer:

Ok. The light is still flashing on the external storage device.

Val B :

Did you have a lot of contacts and mail, etc?

Val B :

Would it be ok to let the import run and you can message me when you're completed if you have any more issues?

Customer:

I had a lot of email saved. I think they cover a period of several years. But it seems like it is taking a long time. I just looked at the Data Files tab. I have two Data files in this machine. One is C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX(2). The other one is C:\Users\Mike\Documents\Outlook Files\Outlook.pst. The light has stopped flashing.

Val B :

Ok, what is Outlook doing?

Customer:

Now I am checking to see what it did. It has stopped. Give me a few minutes. Ok?

Val B :

No problem

Customer:

It seems to have put all of the old emails in one account, the one called Outlook Data File It's all sorted neatly in the folders that I used to use on my old machine. The new stuff that is still in my gmail account has all been saved in the other data file, the one called Gmail.

Val B :

So now we need to change so your new Gmail goes into the Outlook Data File?

Customer:

I wish I could get everything in the Outlook Data File. That's right.

Val B :

Can you open Mail in Control Panel again and highlight the Outlook profile and choose properties. We'll see if your Gmail account is in there.

Customer:

When I go to the Data tab and highlight the Outlook profile, I don't get a chance to choose properties. Should I go to settings?

Val B :

Try settings yes

Customer:

Settings doesn't seem to show me anything much.

Val B :

Do you see "Email Accounts" setup email accounts and directories

Val B :

In Mail click Show Profiles

Customer:

yes, I see that. Under Email accounts, the only one I have is Gmail. But when I choose the next tab, the one that says Data files, I see both accounts. If I highlight the Outlook data file and go the the file location, I am able to see the file and look at some property settings What should I look for there?

Customer:

Ok, I just followed your previous instruction. Sorry I didn't see it earlier. What do I do in the profiles section?

Val B :

I would go to the Gmail one and write down all the settings. Then go to the Outlook Data file and Add your Gmail account to it with those settings. Then when you start Outlook you will choose Outlook Data File

Val B :

It should say the following profiles are setup on this computer and you should see two, one for Outlook Data File and one for Gmail.

Customer:

Ok. I will work on that. Maybe you should sleep. I can let you know later if it works.

Val B :

Ok thanks :)

When you reply back I'll get an email and I'll come back and make sure everything is ok. Have a great day!

Customer:

Thanks so much for your help. I will see what I can do. Goodnight.

Customer:

Sorry to say I haven't made any progress. I can't figure out where to find the setting for the Gmail one and copy them down. I don't know which settings you are referring to. I have tried to copy down some settings that I thought might be the right ones. Then I went to the Outlook Data file to try to Add my Gmail account to it with the things I had written down, but I couldn't find anyplace to put those settings. I created a new Gmail account without the settings, but it wouldn't properly sync with my Outbox, so I deleted it.

Customer:

Customer:

Nor have I conquered my other problem either, the problem about the fact that as soon as I delete a message from my Gmail inbox it is instantly also deleted from Outlook. I have it set up to put Gmail trash into Outlook trash, but when I empty my Gmail trash, my Outlook trash is automatically instantly emptied as well. I want to be able to sync things from my Gmail over to the Outlook and leave them there, even after they have been totally deleted from my Gmail, including my trash.

Expert:  Val B replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Val B replied 2 years ago.

Let's start again by trying to manually add your Gmail account to Outlook. Open Outlook with the Outlook Data File profile then click on File > Account Setttings > New

Type in your name, email address and password XXXXX click on "Manually configure server settings or additional server types"

Select "Internet E-Mail" with the following settings:

• Account Type: IMAP
  • Incoming mail server: imap.gmail.com
  • Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.gmail.com
  • Click on the "More Settings" button and on the Outgoing Server tab check the box next to My Outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication and choose "Use the same settings as my incoming mail server"

Next click on the Advanced tab and check these settings:

• Incoming server: 993
  • Incoming server encrypted connection: SSL
  • Outgoing server encrypted connection TLS
  • Outgoing server: 587
  • Then click on Test settings and let me know how we're doing.

Val

Expert:  Val B replied 2 years ago.
    And for the deleted items issue on the Deleted items tab in account setup is "Mark items for deletion but do not move them automatically" check or unchecked?
    Customer: replied 2 years ago.
    Thanks. Tonight when I am home from work I will give it another try.
    Expert:  Val B replied 2 years ago.
    Ok, let me know.
    Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have just entered all the information you sent to me in order to manually add my Gmail account to outlook. I went to Outlook and tried to send/receive emails. It seems to be trying to synchronize my folder, but I don't understand what is meant be synchronize folders. Anyway I don't think it is working. At first it said it would take 45 seconds, but now it is about 15 minutes later and it is now saying it will take 55 minutes. I have to get off to work. I will need to shut this off and try it again on the weekend.

Also, I can't remember how to find the deleted items tab in order to check the settings that you have mentioned. I have just finished clicking all over the place, and without success. Where do I find that tab?

Thanks for your patience with me.

Expert:  Val B replied 2 years ago.

Hi

Can you let it run while you're at work? The estimated times are never right on this kind of thing and I'd hate to interrupt it.

I'll get back to you on the deleted tab.

Val

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have finished manually adding my Gmail account to Outlook by opening the Outlook Data File profile and doing as you instructed. Some things have changed, but I still don't think it is right.

Now I only have one email account which isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. That is some progress. I still have two very large data files:

1)XXX@XXXXXX.XXX, which is located at C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. This one is 1,017,561 KB.

2) Outlook Data File, which is marked as the default, located at C:\Users\Mike\Documents\Outlook Files\Outlook.pst. This one is 3,399,105 KB.

This isn't right, is it? I am unable to delete the Outlook Data File because it is marked as the default. Anyway I am not sure if this is the right thing to do.

My Navigation Pane in Outlook now has at the top a folder named Outlook which includes the following sub-folders: Inbox, Drafts, Sent Items, Deleted Items, Junk E-mail, Outbox, RSS Feeds, Search Folders, and 10 [personal folders which have been imported from my previous edition of Outlook. All of these folders are empty except for my personal folders, which are all very full.

Below this folder in my navigation pane is another folder which is namedXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. This folder contains the following sub-folders: Inbox, Gmail, Contacts, Deleted Items, Junk E-mail, and Search Folders.

The sub-folder named Gmail contacts the following sub-folders: All Mail, Chats, Drafts, Important, Sent Mail, Spam, Starred, and Trash.

All of these boxes makes for a very confusing navigation pane for me and for the computer. It takes the computer a long time to move items around within the folders And when I shut Outlook down, it takes Outlook almost a minute to do some kind of synchronizing procedure about my folders. I don't know what folders it is synchronizing. Also when I shut down Outlook, it picks up a few pieces of deleted mail from somewhere on the server and redeposits them in the folder called All Mail. I have deleted these mails from everywhere I can find, but they keep reappearing upon shutdown.

Can you think of what might be causing so much confusion?

Thanks.

I have to go to sleep now, so you can answer whenever you have some time..

In the deleted items tab, the box that is currently checked is: Mark Items for Deletion but do not move them automatically. This setting does not give me the option to remove items from my Gmail account after they have been downloaded into Outlook. I have tried to do so, but all items which I delete from my Gmail account are instantaneously deleted from Outlook as well.

Expert:  Val B replied 2 years ago.

Hi, sorry our times are out of sync. Please don't delete anything yet. We're closer than we were Sunday night Smile

Can you go into your Gmail account via the internet and check if this setting is enabled?

It affects the way the account syncs to with Outlook.

To enable IMAP in Gmail:
    Sign in to Gmail.

Click the gear icon in the upper right, then select Settings.

Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.

Select Enable IMAP.

Click Save Changes and exit.

Please let me know if it is already enabled.

Thanks

Val

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for that. Part of my problem was with my Gmail settings. The IMAP was already enabled, so I didn't have to change that.

But the next choice: "When I mark a message in IMAP as deleted" had Auto-Expunge on. I changed this one tos: Auto-Expunge off - wait for client to update server.

I also set the next choice: "When a message is marked as deleted and and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder" to Archive the message (Default).

The issue about not being able to delete from Gmail without automatically also deleting from Outlook is now resolved. Thanks!

What should I do to clean up the navigation pane in my Outbox. I need to figure out a way to delete something, don't I?

Expert:  Val B replied 2 years ago.

I would not recommend deleting the extra .PST file until you have everything working and you are sure you aren't missing anything. It's not worth the risk unless your hard drive is completely full.

You can't delete the Gmail folders and it's subfolders but you can try setting your Gmail folder as your root folder:

In Outlook click on File > Select your Gmail account > Account settings > on the Email tab again select your Gmail account > Modify > Additional settings > Advanced options >

In Root Folder Path type in [Gmail] > Ok > Next > Done

Outlook will need to re-sync with Gmail which will probably take a lot of time again but your folder structure should be cleaner.

Val

Val B, Analyst / Trainer
    Experience: Expert in solving Microsoft Office problems.
    Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Val

I think there is still more to be done. Outlook doesn't sync properly. When I open Outlook, it tries to sync. Sending is very fast. Receiving takes a long time, and in the end I receive an error message saying that it wasn't able to sync. I wonder if Outlook is looking for the folder to sync with, and which do not exist in the Gmail data file. What do you think?

Expert:  Val B replied 2 years ago.

In Outlook click on Send/Receive > Send/Receive Groups > Define Send/Receive Groups > All Accounts > Edit > Select your Gmail account and uncheck the "Include selected account in this group" checkbox. Save and close.

When you click on an email folder Outlook will connect with your Gmail account and the IMAP server will do the syncing. If the above setting is checked Outlook will try to re-connect when it's already connected; causing issues.

Let me know what happens.

Val

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Val,

Thanks very much. I think everything is now working normally. I never could have gotten this done without you. If I have other issues, can I go to this same website and request you?

Expert:  Val B replied 2 years ago.

Yay! I'm glad everything is working!

You can come back and request me, I will get an email letting me know.

Take care.

Val