Andy, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Experienced in all versions of MS Office Products.
16465236

Andy, I was very happy with your prompt response to my previous

Andy,

I was very happy with your prompt response to my previous query and was hoping that you would be able to assist me by providing the following information:

1. Formula to format a cell to record seconds

2. Formula to convert minutes to degrees

3. Formula to convert seconds to degrees
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
I am Andy and I will be glad to help you out with your issue today. Please Reply to me with doubts / questions till you are 100% satisfied.

Lets do this step by step ... 1 formula at a time .. is that Okay ?

So, lets work on your Formula to record seconds.

Take a cell D1 and format it to General (or Number).

Use this following formula in D1:

=B1*24*3600

where B1 would be the cell in which your Time (hours:mins:seconds) would be stored.

Do this and let me know result please.

Let me know result via REPLY TO EXPERT button
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Andy,

Result works

Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.

Do you have any further questions or are you happy with my help ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Andy,

I also need separate formulas to convert minutes & seconds to degrees

Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.

Please give me an example for both of these.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Andy,

I have attached a link below to download a sample file. What I would like is the following:

1. A formula to convert the minutes/seconds columns (yellow) to degrees. I need to add these figures to the degrees column

http://wikisend.com/download/537444/Theodolite Pre Op Check.xls

Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Hi Stephen,

I am very sorry for asking you so many questions ... but I just want to be 100% sure about what you need.

1. Do you want to convert Minute to Degree .... then Seconds to Degree .... and store both of them in 2 seperate cells.

2. Then you want to add (sum) those two cells ?

Is that correct ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Andy,

What I actually need to do is the following, convert the minutes & seconds to degrees and then add them to both the degree figures in D15 & D16 (total figure will be recorded in cell D17)

Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.

So, do you want convert E15+F15 and convert it to Degree .... a single Degree result and store it in say G15 ?

Then add G15 to D15 ... ??

What I am asking is ... Do you want to individually convert E15 to Degree ... and F15 to Degree ...
OR
Do you want to get a combined Degree result out of E15 and F15 ..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Andy,

It is the total figures in E17 (Minutes) & F17 (Seconds) that I need converted to degrees. I then need to add those figures to the degree figures in cells D15 & D16.

It does not matter whether it is a combined degree result of cells E17 & F17

Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Hi Stephen,

I am working on this ... I will get back to you ... please hold on.

Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.

The result in D15 and D16 ... are they just dummy ... or correct ones ?

The decimal degree result of mm:ss (59:54) is 0.9983 ... is this the expected result for D17

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Andy,

All entries are correct ones. The expected result for cell D17 should be 360 degrees (sum of D15, D16, E17 & F17)

The purpose of the excel file is to carry out pre-op checks of survey equipment

Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.

So, the Degree result of (59:54) is 0.9983 ... which is 1 if rounded off.

So, the Sum would be become 360 ...

Is that correct ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.

Awesome ... so here is your formula ... sorry for taking so long !

Please put the following formula in cell D17 :
=((((F17/60)+E17))/60)+D15+D16

And you should be all set.

Let me know if this solves your problem or not.

If not, please REPLY and let me know.

Else please go ahead and RATE this answer with SMILEY / 3to5 star ..

BONUS is always appreciated !

Take care,
Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Hi Stephen,

Make sure to format D17 as Number ... with no decimal places ... else the result will be 359.XXX ... so to remove the decimals and round it up ... make sure to keep no decimals ... if you don't know how to do this please let me know.

If not, please REPLY and let me know.

BONUS is always appreciated !

Take care,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Andy,

My apologies, I am a little confused. Can you please check the attached excel sheet and confirm that I have entered the formulas correctly. I then need to create formulas for the two cells highlighted in yellow

http://wikisend.com/download/358658/Theodolite Pre Op Check.xls

Sorry to be a pest.

Expert:  Andy replied 2 years ago.
Hi Stephen,

The formulae that you have entered in D17 is perfectly correct.

Please go ahead and RATE this answer with 5 stars / Smiley face so that I get credited for my answer through this website.

Only after that we can continue to work on your next question.

Thanks and take care!
Andy, Computer Engineer
Experience: Experienced in all versions of MS Office Products.