Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I cant open Outlook 2010, the programs stops at proceccing

Customer Question

I can't open Outlook 2010, the programs stops at proceccing and do not proceed from there.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is Jess and I am glad to assist you today.

Are you saying that when you open Outlook 2010, it won't load at all? Have you tried to open it in Safe Mode? Try it this way:
  1. Click on Start and locate the MS Outlook 2010 shortcut icon
  2. When located, do not click on it to open
  3. Instead, press and hold the CTRL key in your keyboard, then click on Outlook 2010 icon to open it
  4. See if it opens that way

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No i did not open

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for writing back.

OK. Please right click on your taskbar then click on "Start Task Manager". Then see there if Outlook is running under Processes.

Here is my screen shot:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Let me know.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no i can't see Outlook there. I will have to leave for work soon what happens then I will log off in 10 minutes.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Please bookmark this page or add to favorites so that you can get back to me in this page easily.

Now, please try to do this:
  1. Click Start => All Programs => Accessories => RUN
  2. Another way to open the RUN box is to press the Windows logo key in your keyboard then press the letter R
  3. Now, in the RUN box, type: Outlook.exe /resetnavpane
  4. Here is my screen shot:

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

5. Then see if Outlook opens this time.

Please be sure to rate my answer with 3 or more stars/faces if this helped. Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further. If you have further question, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I still can't open Outlook but must go to bed now, I will contact you again tomorrow.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
OK. Please take your time and we can resume tomorrow then.
Next thing to check, is your Outlook.exe file still present? Please check this location and see if it is still in its default location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12

Please check if there is Outlook.exe file stored in that folder.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and good morning (Sweden)

No I did not find Outlook.exe in the program files.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for writing back.

Are you sure that your MS Office version includes MS Outlook? Do you see the Outlook icon in your Desktop? You mentioned that you open Outlook but it won't load. Dod you open it using the Outlook icon?

Now try this:

1. Click Start => Search
  2. In the search box, type: Outlook 2010
  3. DO NOT press Enter. Just wait for the resarch results
  4. Do you see Outlook displayed in the results?
  5. Here is my screen shot:

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
    View Full Image

Register Here

Keep me posted.

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is there.

I also found an Outlook.exe file in C:\Program files\Microsoft Office\Office14

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information.

Now, when you double click on Outlook.exe, nothing happens?
Please try to right click on it then click on Run as Administrator. When a pop up appears, click on OK or YES to confirm
Then see if Outlook opens that way.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No popup windows appear but I clicked on the run as administrator and Outlook started but did not open it halted on the same stage as before - processing.....

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a lot of emails already in this Outlook 2010? Like few years of emails?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not a few years but one, I did a copy of my .pst file a couple of days ago when this problem started.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
OK. Please try to create a NEW Outlook profile. Then you need to IMPORT the PST file that you copied. I believe the PST was corrupted causing this problem of your.

Here are the steps:
  1. Click Start => Control Panel
  2. Change the View by from Category to Small icons to shall all items
  3. Locate and open Mail
  4. Under Profiles group, click on Show Profiles
  5. Click the ADD button to add a new profile
  6. Give it a name and click OK
  7. Then configure your email account
  8. Then follow the rest of the on screen procedures to setup your email accounts
  9. When you are done, you can then check if Outlook woks this time
  10. Then IMPORT the PST file that you have backed up already.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm off again so I try this tomorrow.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
OK, please take your time.

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have Outlook working now, but I cannot import the .pst files I have on an usb stick. I can't translate the message I get to English so I guess I have to live with this - worse things has happend.

Thank you for your support.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Annapia,

Thank you for writing back.

I am glad that your Outlook is now working. It is indeed a corrupted PST file. It is this corrupted PST file that prevented Outlook from running.

I am sorry if you are not able to IMPORT the PST file. Since it is corrupted, even the IMPORT process can fail. However, if the Pst file contains so valuable data from the past, you can repair it. But success on this repair will depend on the actual condition or health of the PST.

To repair the PST file, you can use the Inbox Repair Tool by Microsoft that is also installed with Microsoft Outlook. The entire process is described in this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272227

A good visual guide here:
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/outlook-2010-pst-file-repair-tool/

Please do not forget to rate my answer with 3 or more stars/faces if this helped. Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further. If you have further question, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess