How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask ChrisC Your Own Question

ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Category: Microsoft Office
Satisfied Customers: 1673
Experience:  15 years as a professional computer technician.
Type Your Microsoft Office Question Here...
ChrisC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have lost the ability to open my word documents. I get an

Customer Question

I have lost the ability to open my word documents. I get an error message: "Filename.doc" is not a valid Win32 application. If I right click the document I ca open it with Microsoft Word Viewer. Please help.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is Chris and welcome to JustAnswer.

It sounds like your Office installation may be corrupted. Let's try running a repair on your installation.

To do this, go to your Control Panel and to Programs-->Uninstall a Program. This should launch a list of programs that are installed on your machine. Find Office in your list, right-click it, and choose Change.

This should then launch another Window that will give you the option for Repair. Run that and then try to open a another Word doc.

Give that a shot and let me know how it goes. You can reply back to me via the "Continue the Conversation" tab.

PLEASE NOTE: As an Expert on JustAnswer, I work strictly on a commission basis and I only receive credit for assisting you if my answer receives a positive rating. So if you found this helpful, please remember to rate my answer at least OK Service or better. If you're not satisfied with my service for some reason, please do not rate the answer negatively. Instead reply back so that I can continue to work with you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Chris


I hope you received my last reply stating that I could not achieve your recommendation of changing Office.


That means I have not solved my problem so I cannot state that I am satisfied although you have given a suggested solution.


Where do we go from here?


Are you still going to charge me?



Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 years ago.
Godwin, no, I didn't get that for some reason.

What happened when you tried to run the repair?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I shall repeat my first reply:

1. I could not find "Office" I found "Microsoft Office 97, Professional Edition" in Program Files - "Add or Remove Programs".

2. When I right clicked on "Change/Remove" I was asked to insert the installation CD. I do not have this CD as the Windows XP I have on my machine was an upgrade from OEM Windows 98, carried out by a professional computer shop some years ago.

I am therefore unable to try the solution you have suggested.


Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 years ago.
Okay, thanks Godwin.

I wish I had better news for you, but I'm afraid your installation is indeed corrupted. And without the disc your options are going to be limited because you can't run the repair and also can't perform a reinstall. You need to be able to do one or the other.

Under the circumstances, you can do one of two things:

1. Purchase an Office disc. Depending on the version, you may be able to get a disc quite cheaply from the secondary market, such as a site like eBay.

2. This is my suggestion, as it's immediate and also free. You can download and install the free MS Office-compatible OpenOffice program suite. OpenOffice is an office suite similar to Microsoft Office and is compatible with all MS Office file types. So you can both open and create MS Office-compatible files.

You can get OpenOffice from the following link:

I wish I had better news for you, but you really need the installation disc to directly resolve the problem. This is the issue you often run into with pre-loaded software. Let me know if you have any other questions on this and please remember to rate the answer for me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks very much Chris.

I have two issues here.

Firstly I can't fault you on the replies you have given me. However since I have not been able to resolve the problem that I approached you with in the first place I feel I should not have to pay.

Can you arrange for me to have a refund.

I cannot rate you negatively because you have replied promptly and, in my view, professionally.

It's just that you have not solved my problem . . .


Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 years ago.
I will send your question over to customer service.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • My Expert answered my question promptly and he resolved the issue totally. This is a great service. I am so glad I found it I will definitely use the service again if needed. One Happy Customer New York
< Previous | Next >
  • My Expert answered my question promptly and he resolved the issue totally. This is a great service. I am so glad I found it I will definitely use the service again if needed. One Happy Customer New York
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther Woodstock, NY
  • Thank you so much for taking your time and knowledge to support my concerns. Not only did you answer my questions, you even took it a step further with replying with more pertinent information I needed to know. Robin Elkton, Maryland

Meet The Experts:

  • jstinehelfer


    Information Systems Manager

    Satisfied Customers:

    A+ Comptia Certified computer repair
< Last | Next >
  • jstinehelfer's Avatar


    Information Systems Manager

    Satisfied Customers:

    A+ Comptia Certified computer repair
  • JasonJames122's Avatar


    Computer Enthusiast

    Satisfied Customers:

    I manage all information systems (network of Windows PC's and servers with Microsoft Office products) for a small business
  • Jess M.'s Avatar

    Jess M.

    Computer Support Specialist

    Satisfied Customers:

    Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
  • The-PC-Guy's Avatar


    Computer Manager

    Satisfied Customers:

    20 years experience providing remote computer support
  • James K.'s Avatar

    James K.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Technical Director of IT Company
  • IT Miro's Avatar

    IT Miro

    Computer Scientist

    Satisfied Customers:

    Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
  • Chris L.'s Avatar

    Chris L.

    Support Specialist

    Satisfied Customers:

    Certified Expert with over 10 years experience.