ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  15 years as a professional computer technician.
56108293

I have lost the ability to open my word documents. I get an

Customer Question

I have lost the ability to open my word documents. I get an error message: "Filename.doc" is not a valid Win32 application. If I right click the document I ca open it with Microsoft Word Viewer. Please help.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is Chris and welcome to JustAnswer.

It sounds like your Office installation may be corrupted. Let's try running a repair on your installation.

To do this, go to your Control Panel and to Programs-->Uninstall a Program. This should launch a list of programs that are installed on your machine. Find Office in your list, right-click it, and choose Change.

This should then launch another Window that will give you the option for Repair. Run that and then try to open a another Word doc.

Give that a shot and let me know how it goes. You can reply back to me via the "Continue the Conversation" tab.

PLEASE NOTE: As an Expert on JustAnswer, I work strictly on a commission basis and I only receive credit for assisting you if my answer receives a positive rating. So if you found this helpful, please remember to rate my answer at least OK Service or better. If you're not satisfied with my service for some reason, please do not rate the answer negatively. Instead reply back so that I can continue to work with you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Chris

I hope you received my last reply stating that I could not achieve your recommendation of changing Office.

That means I have not solved my problem so I cannot state that I am satisfied although you have given a suggested solution.

Where do we go from here?

Are you still going to charge me?

Godwin

Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 years ago.
Godwin, no, I didn't get that for some reason.

What happened when you tried to run the repair?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I shall repeat my first reply:

1. I could not find "Office" I found "Microsoft Office 97, Professional Edition" in Program Files - "Add or Remove Programs".

2. When I right clicked on "Change/Remove" I was asked to insert the installation CD. I do not have this CD as the Windows XP I have on my machine was an upgrade from OEM Windows 98, carried out by a professional computer shop some years ago.

I am therefore unable to try the solution you have suggested.

Godwin

Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 years ago.
Okay, thanks Godwin.

I wish I had better news for you, but I'm afraid your installation is indeed corrupted. And without the disc your options are going to be limited because you can't run the repair and also can't perform a reinstall. You need to be able to do one or the other.

Under the circumstances, you can do one of two things:

1. Purchase an Office disc. Depending on the version, you may be able to get a disc quite cheaply from the secondary market, such as a site like eBay.

2. This is my suggestion, as it's immediate and also free. You can download and install the free MS Office-compatible OpenOffice program suite. OpenOffice is an office suite similar to Microsoft Office and is compatible with all MS Office file types. So you can both open and create MS Office-compatible files.

You can get OpenOffice from the following link:

www.openoffice.org

I wish I had better news for you, but you really need the installation disc to directly resolve the problem. This is the issue you often run into with pre-loaded software. Let me know if you have any other questions on this and please remember to rate the answer for me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks very much Chris.

I have two issues here.

Firstly I can't fault you on the replies you have given me. However since I have not been able to resolve the problem that I approached you with in the first place I feel I should not have to pay.

Can you arrange for me to have a refund.

I cannot rate you negatively because you have replied promptly and, in my view, professionally.

It's just that you have not solved my problem . . .

Godwin

Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 years ago.
I will send your question over to customer service.