NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.
53509759

Microsoft Word 10; Can I set up a page with borders and have

Customer Question

Microsoft Word 10; Can I set up a page with borders and have them stay locked so I can enter text without them moving?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Ryan B. replied 4 years ago.

Ryan B. :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer

Ryan B. :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you

Ryan B. :

I believe this is what you are trying to do, please test it out:

• Display the Developer Tab on the ribbon. (Open word options, then click the check-box in the Popular section.)

• With your template open, navigate to the Developer tab.

• Click the Protect Document button. (You should see a sidebar.)

• Under Editing Restrictions, click "Allow only this type of editing in the document" and set the dropdown to "No changes (Read only)"

• Click somewhere in your template that isn't the header/footer and hold Ctrl-A to select all.

• Under the Exceptions part of the sidebar now displayed in Editing restrictions, click the check-box for 'Everyone'. In other words, your entire document is read-only except for the main part in the middle, which can be edited by everyone.

• Click the "Yes, Start Enforcing Protection" button, and set a password XXXXX you want to.

This does exactly what I want it to.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are satisfied. A positive rating is how I

get credit for helping you. IF you feel the need to rate bad or poor service, please stop

and click on the REPLY tab and reply with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue

further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thanks,
Ryan B.

Customer :

This now won't let me add text to the page! The page has two borders top and bottom that I added and want the position held in place. They were not set up as HEADER/FOOTER. Is there a way to select the area between to be open to edit without moving the borders?

Ryan B. :

You have to make sure you do this step.

Customer :

Nope, did that. I think that I may need to add header/footer and insert my borders into them. . . possible? I did follow your instructions to the tee, but the borders are inserted as photos. Don't know if this is even possible. Very frustrating.

Ryan B. :

Yea it's possible that you may need to do that. Test it out, can't hurt.

Customer :

Going to pass this on to someone else to do. Thanks for trying. Vivian