Frederick S
Frederick S, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer technician; founder of a home PC repair company.
33925084

I am trying to remove some documents and send them to a memory

I am trying to remove some documents and send them to a memory stick and then delete those files from MS Word 2007. Can you please help me?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Frederick S replied 2 years ago.
Hi there

Happy to help

Documents are not stored within your Word program.

Do you know where they are located on your PC?

Once you've located them, you can right-click on the files (or highlight and select multiple files) then pick CUT and then go to Start menu --> (My) Computer, then double-click on your memory stick/thumb drive and then right-right (or pick the Edit menu) and select 'Paste' and they will be cut from your original location on your PC and copied to your memory stick.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, that helps some. How do I find out where they are stored? Sorry, not great w ith computers!
Hi! Not a problem :)

What operating system are you using - XP or Vista or Windows 7?

FS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Vista
OK; thanks

If you go to Start menu --> Documents, do you see the Word documents there?

FS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, but I do not see the documents I am looking for? Sorry
That's fine

In the top right, type a word or two of the Word doc you're looking for (just one of them) and then right-click on it and select Open File Location to see where it is.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I found them in Tad's Documents but when I goand to open file location, it says its a shortcut that's been changed and won't work anymore. Asks if I want to delete which is fine but its still showing up in my MS Word directory.
OK, so you need to find the original file location and not just the shortcut.

You can try to locate the full path in Word 2007 by following these 3 steps:

structions

Click on the "Windows" icon, at the top-left part of the Word 2007 control panel.

Scroll over "Prepare," and then highlight "Properties." Look under the field labeled "Location."

View the full path to the documents location on top in the yellow box. You cannot edit the location from the properties menu. However, you can determine the folder where it's located.

You can go to Start menu --> Computer then go to C Drive and open each folder along the path until you locate them.

FS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I highlighted properties, location didnt come up? But when
But when?

FS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry. Typo. I am typing on my phone.
OK

Where did this document come from?

Did you download it as an attachment?

FS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. I typed them and saved them.
OK

So please try this...

If you go to Word, you're able to pull up the documents without issue, right?

Go to Word and open one of the documents that you wish to transfer

Then you can go to the Office orb in the top left, then pick "Save as" and pick the same format you used before, and the folder that you end up in should be your default saved file location.

Alternatively, with the document open, you can save it straight to your memory stick from the dropdown menu on top... Just click the dropdown arrow next to the blue arrows (refresh) on the top, and then pick Computer and double-click on your memory stick.

FS
If you're still having trouble I can remotely access your PC as long as you have high-speed Internet; thank you.

FS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. That sounds great! Can you give mr about :30 ?
Sure; sounds good. Reply back when you're ready for me to send you the connection link.FS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ready.
OK; please click on the following link and pick yes/agree/run/continue to any messages that come up. Once connected, I will connect to you and open a Notepad file so we can chat:

Thank you.
Hi

The session was disconnected for some reason; you can rejoin if you wish, or we can pick this up again tomorrow or later today.

FS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is there a way for me to contact you directly tomorrow maybe? How about a phone #? My #phone is 5XXX-XXX-XXXX XXXXXXXXXX@XXXXXXXXXX. Really need to get this done. Thanks

I can't stay connected due to the unstable connection. Are you using some sort of wireless connection?
You can contact me tomorrow directly via this question; I will be notified immediately when you reply. Can you please try to get a connection that's more reliable, such as a wired connection, for our next remote session? If not, that's okay - I can give you the instructions to search for the documents and save them step by step.
FS
Please go to Start menu --> Computer

Click C Drive

Search for those documents in the top right...

OR

Open them in Word and go to File --> Save As ... Pick your Computer --> Memory stick as the location to save them.

Then save them to the memory stick; thanks! Be sure to rate me once you have no further questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanka for getting back to me. I actually just deleted the entire program off if ny computer and will re-install later. Thanks very much for trying so hard to help me. It was very frustrating! Take care. Tad
Hi. Understandable. You may rate me so that I'm credited for working with you. Thank you.
Frederick S, Computer Specialist
Experience: Computer technician; founder of a home PC repair company.