The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience:  20 years experience providing remote computer support
62934938

add a decimal point to each number

*********URGENT**********I want like to add a decimal point to each number (or letter-number) in a way that it is the decimal is in the second place, e.g. 100 to 10.0 and 010 to 01.0 Attached is the column in question. http://wikisend.com/download/410642/srgcd.xlsx

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 2 years ago.
My Name isXXXXX will be helping you today. If I provide good service, you may ask for The-PC-Guy in your question title for your future needs.

is the decimal always going to be in the same spot?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, always after the first two numerical digits

so if the number is XXXXX the result should be 45.78 not 457.8?

and if its A10 it should be A10.0?, and A02020 should be A02.020?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

problem has been resolved for now. thank you. will contact you if i need anything else....

thanks for giving me the opportunity to assist you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

actually, i do need a f/u here.....

how do i remove duplicates in a column while also removing the corresponding value in the next column (since they are for the same code)?

the easiest way is to use sorting a filtering functions of excel.

to do this

1. frst click any cell in worksheet, then press "ctrl" and "a" at same time on keyboard to select all cells

2. then click the "data" tab

3. click "remove duplicates" in the banner that appears after clicking the tab

4. in the remove duplicates window, select only those column or columns that contain duplicates. (if you select too many columns it wont work and you will have to try it again with less columns)

5. click ok, you will see a message telling you how many duplicates have been removed. If you selected 1 column, in step 4 and have tried each one separately and you get a message saying no duplicates, then that means that all duplicates have been removed.

in the future to avoid any confusion or delayed reposes, you may want to work with a single expert for your Excel issues. I would be happy to help in that regard.

feel free to ask for me again in the future if I can be of any more assistance, http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-1expert-2rulethemall/
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience: 20 years experience providing remote computer support
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You did understand what I meant. This might be my mistake. I know how to remove duplicates. However, i am trying to remove duplicates in one column and the corresponding value in another column. That being said, the other column does not have any duplicates.

yes if you do what I said, but just select the column that contains the duplicates, lets say its column A in the remove duplicates window, it will remove duplicate column row plus all corresponding columns for that row.

By default all columns are selected in the remove duplicate window.

Does this clarify it?
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

PLEASE ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!
absolutely. however, how do i remove the first duplicate not the second?

wow, that will be way more involved. That would require a macro, and that is way beyond what I do. I just try to give you the easiest solution.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So you don't know how to do?

not that specifically, I only know about the built in excel functions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It might be easier than we think. the problem is that in column A there are duplicates, but column B there are no duplicates and i need the description in column B that corresponds to the duplicate in column A.

i see you already opened up another question to work with another expert, so I won't work on this problem any more. Let me know about others though