Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  B.S. Electrical & Computer Engineering, 20+ years technical experience
7043301

Why are pages 14-48 in a 48-page Publisher document all of

Customer Question

Why are pages 14-48 in a 48-page Publisher document all of a sudden not appearing in the document, but if I pull down on a text box on the preceding page, the text is there? Photos are still showing up (this is a women's club directory).
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Dan :

Hi there my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today

Dr. Dan :

Can you tell me what version of Publisher you are using?

Customer:

hang on...looking. I just downloaded it recently...

Customer:

2010

Dr. Dan :

Were these pages ever visible in the document?

Customer:

Yes. When I first created the document and placed the pages, all of the text was there. I had closed and re-opened the document to work on it over several days and everything was fine.

Dr. Dan :

Are the pages missing or just that the text is missing?

Dr. Dan :

(like layouts of those pages are missing text in text boxes, but the pages are still there -ex. photos)

Customer:

The text is missing, but there is a text box. On pages of the directory with photos, the photos are still there, and about 5 pages or so after the text first disappears, there is a text box with text that shows up (it was done in 2 columns, column 2 shows up).

Customer:

If I pull down the text box below the page boundary on page 13, the text that should appear on page 14 shows up, but when I put the box back within the page boundary, the text disappears and nothing is on page 14...

Customer:

just the text box

Dr. Dan :

ok

Dr. Dan :

This is a problem with an older file version of Publisher being incorrectly interpreted by Publisher 2010. To fix this formatting do the following

Dr. Dan :

"This problem is due to custom tab stops that were added in Publisher 2007 that were not formatting correctly in Publisher 2010.

We were able to find a workaround that should alleviate the problem using these steps:

1. Open the publication in Publisher 2010.

2. Place the text cursor somewhere in the text box on Page 1.

3. Click Home tab > Select > 'Select All text in Text box' (or) Press Ctrl + A to select Text on all pages.

4. While the text is still selected, click Home > Paragraph (click small button at bottom right corner in Paragraph group) > Tabs.

5. In Paragraph window, under Tabs, click "Clear All".

6. Click Ok to close Paragraph windows

7. Click File > Save As and save the publication with a new name (so that original is not modified and can be preserved as a backup).

8. The new saved publication will show all the text at this point."

Source: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-office_other/solution-to-missing-text-when-upgrading-from/de8c8dc5-bd70-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5?msgId=e264b5ab-d670-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

Dr. Dan :

Let me know if this helps restore the text

Customer:

Did all that. Nothing.

Dr. Dan :

Do you know if the document was created in Publisher 2007?

Dr. Dan :

(Or did you create the document?)

Customer:

No, it was created in Publisher 2010. I didn't work in Publisher before, but the printer recommended I put the document into Publisher instead of PageMaker due to the easier pdf creation.

Customer:

it was created in 2010

Dr. Dan :

Hmm I don't know about that recommendation. PageMaker is outdated, but Adobe has replaced it with Indesign. I would say Indesign is loads better but let's try to figure out what's going on with your 2010 Publisher file... so you created this in 2010.

Customer:

Yes. A couple weeks ago. I

Customer:

created the document and placed all the text, then was going back in to place photos and finally to edit when the text disappeared.

Dr. Dan :

Can you share the publisher file with me so I can view it to see exactly what is affected?

Customer:

Sure, just tell me how...sorry, I know how to create documents but am not too tech savvy

Dr. Dan :

If you go to http://ge.tt/ and upload your document you can copy the link and paste it back here for me to download

Customer:

ok, just a second

Dr. Dan :

Sure, copy the link to the file here once you have uploaded it

Customer:

it's churning...

Customer:

http://ge.tt/8q7ov9N/v/0?c

Dr. Dan :

Taking a look at it now

Dr. Dan :

Fixed it

Dr. Dan :

It was that problem as I mentioned in steps 1-8

Dr. Dan :

Let's do this together again

Dr. Dan :

Click on the text on page 1

Dr. Dan :

on you keyboard click control+A to select all the text

Dr. Dan :

On the ribbon with the text selected click that tiny right-downward pointing icon immediately to the right of "Paragragh" on the Home tab (third section over from the left)

Dr. Dan :

This pops up a window called "Paragraph"

Customer:

I have selected all text

Dr. Dan :

Select the 2nd tab "Tabs"

Dr. Dan :

Then select the "Clear All" button in the middle right of the window

Dr. Dan :

Click "OK" and the text should all return in pages 14+

Dr. Dan :

(can you find that tiny tiny right-downward arrow icon immediately to the right of the "Paragraph" title on the Home Ribbon?)

Dr. Dan :

That's the hardest step

Dr. Dan :

I'm uploading a repaired version of the file if you are unsuccessful in correcting it yourself

Customer:

Geez, that was like giving birth. But I did get it to work!

Dr. Dan :

Nice! I'm glad we were able to restore all your hard work!

Customer:

It looks like I will need to do some reformatting, but I don't mind that. The text is there.

Dr. Dan :

Thank goodness :D

Dr. Dan, Computer Software Engineer
Experience: B.S. Electrical & Computer Engineering, 20+ years technical experience
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.

Just in case I have also uploaded a repaired version of the document: http://ge.tt/8ZlGx9N/v/0?c

If I have been of service please provide a rating so my efforts can be recognized by Just Answer.

Thank you very much!

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If it did, please provide an excellent service rating so my efforts can be recognized by Just Answer.

Let me know, and thank you,
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Would you mind providing positive feedback to close this question and also to allow Just Answer to compensate me for my efforts?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've already done this

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks!