John D
John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
53785

I have been keeping a month by month log of sales to over 100

Customer Question

I have been keeping a month by month log of sales to over 100 accounts for the past 7 years. As an example, column A is account, Column B is year, etc. Jan thru Dec sales data are D through O, P total column. I then figure commissions using a cell iwth percentage of commission for my salesmen to the right using the same format.

Sheet A is the excel spreadsheet with the info.
Sheets B, C, D, etc are graphs of each accounts sales performance over the past years. Once I have done the charts, the cells and numbers in the sales data sheet no longer add into the totals.

I have never had this problem before and have been doing graphs like this for over 7 years. I it a huge, important amount of data. Can you help figure out why it is not working?

thanks

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Hi John

Would you be able to send me that file so I can check it and try to fix the issue

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, see attached. this is one example of 10 different spreadsheets built in the same fashion for different factories we represent. I am assuming once you fix one, the fix will be the same for all. I need to send you the file in Outlook as I cannot see a copy/paste on this sheet. Will go out in a few minutes.

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.
No we cannot use email here. Please go to http://www.wikisend.com/ and upload the file using the Browse button (no need to signup) then copy the "File ID" number (or the download link) that you will be given and paste it here in your reply.

If the file has sensitive information let me know before you upload it

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Did you have any problems uploading the file?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No problems at all. I sent the download info to you about 20/30 minutes ago.. I will resend

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Where the download link or File ID? (please see instructions in bold)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Got it thanks

I am looking at your description but I do not know when sheet all these columns and references are in (i.e. which is Sheet "A" and Sheet "B" etc)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Totals sheet, column for August

Can you just call me. I have to leave at 6:00 for a meeting.

XXX-XXX-XXXX Cell

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

More info so you don’t have to find every mistake.

Check cells:

K169, 449,669,879, 909,949, 979

These numbers are put into the cell, but do not capture in the totals by salesperson at the bottom of the sheets. Call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX with any questions.

John B

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

John this site does not permit contact by phone or email

Ok I see the columns that you are referring to.

Could you type 5000 in cell K169 and hit Enter, then tell me what value appears in cell AB169

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.
I just updated my above message in line with the cell references that you gave me. Please look again at the updated message
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

did - AB169 works just fine. that is not the problem. Cells K1329 should add the $5000 to that total and does not. Cells K1299 should add the $5000 to the total and it does not.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The K cell references I gave you all have numbers entered into the cells. None of those numbers are showing up in the totals down at K1299, 1309, 1319, 1329, etc. As each salesperson is totalled, for whatever reason, the K cells noted are not adding into the totals

Damn I wish you would call me or give me a number. this is taking us both way too long

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have to leave. Am an officer in my little town and have a Selectman's meeting tonight at 7 till probably 11:00. i will check back at 11 and leave you a message. I will be back in my office at 7:30 AM for an hour and will try to reconnect then. Hopefully I have explained what is happening.

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

It's ok I will wait until you get back. In the meantime here is the solution

The issue is that the SUMIF formula in cell K1299 sums values in K when the corresponding value in C is equal to C9

C9 has the value of '2012 (with the apostrophe)

Since the value in C169 which corresponds to cell K169 IS NOT EQUAL TO THE VALUE IN C9, cell K169 will not be included in the SUMIF formula in K1299

To see what I mean type '2012 in cell C169 (which is the same value in C9) and you will see that cell K1299 will add the value in K169

I can send you the corrected file if you like

Hope this helps. Thank you for rating this answer "Excellent" or "Good" if I was able to answer your question

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

I hope I was able to explain the problem clearly. If not let me know

John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience: Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.
Ok?
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

John, if you do not need further help please click the rating button so I get paid for my time on this long thread

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

John,

thank you. Once you demonstrated what it was, it was very understandable. I put the YTD in on the chart so it would show up on the graphs not thinking of the downstream impact.

JB

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. Glad I could help