John D
John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant

Im using Excel 2010, I have a spreadsheet with a circular

I'm using Excel 2010, I have a spreadsheet with a circular reference - but the file seems frozen when I open it - so Ican't even find it and fix the reference. The file was ~2M, and then became 36M - i've worked on this sheet for days - so I really need to salvage it
any ideas?

I will try to fix the frozen file issue but you will have to figure out the logic of your formulas that are causing the circular references

You can send me the file if that is what you want me to do
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'd be fine sending you the file - but it is now 32 MG -

How should I do that?

Ok go to and upload the file using the Browse button (no need to signup) then copy the "File ID" number (or the download link) that you will be given and paste it here in your reply.

If the file has sensitive information let me know before you upload it

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The file is just a template for payments - it doesn't actually have data in it. 2 - In Progress.xlsx

Ok I managed to recover the workbook which appears to have some 25 worksheets. The size has also been reduced to less than 2 Mb

Here is a screenshot

Let me know if that's ok so I can send you the excel file

I will try to fix the Circular Reference issue once we are done with this part

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This is a screen shot of the file - and i'm happy if you got it back to the correct size of 2 M. I could see the file in the Preview - but I couldn't see it in excel. I would like to know what happened, and what I should do if it happens again.

Hi again

I don't know what may have happened on your end nor do I know how to prevent it, But I do know how to fix it. So if that's good enough please go ahead and rate the answer so get credit for my time (you can add bonus due to the time it took to download, open and work with that file) and I will send you the recovered xls file

As I mentioned the Circular Reference issue is considered as another question

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If you return me the file at 2M and I can open it - and the cirular reference is there for me to fix - I can fix it - I fix circular references no problem. I don't consider the problem done till I have my file back and I can open it.

Yes you will be able to open it (I showed you that the file was indeed opened)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't understand - do you expect me to rate the problem solved before you return me the file? That doesn't make sense to me. Until I have the file back and can open it - how I can really know the problem is solved? How can I say I'm satisfied if I don't have the file back? What if you opened it on yours but it won't open on mine?

If you fixed the problem, and you can return the file - then return it - and I'll happily say Excellent Service. But how can you expect me to rate the service when I don't even have the file back?

No problem, one moment please...

Ok here you go

(I temporarily disabled the circular reference erros so you will be able to open it without interruption)

Thank you

Ok here you go

(I temporarily disabled the circular reference errors so you will be able to open it without interruption)

Thank you