Juliene
Juliene, IT Consultant
Experience:  M.S. in Information Security & Assurance

How to fix Windows Live Mail Error ID 0x800CCCDE?

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Juliene replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. Did you get any further information on this error such as a socket number? For example, 'Protocol: SMTP,' 'PORT:25,' 'Secure (SSL):No,' 'Socket Error 100060'? Thanks, Jay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jay, yes

Port 110

Socket Error 10013

e-mail is not working

Expert:  Juliene replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Elisabeth for your quick response. Before I give you my full answer, can you provide who your email service provider is please. Such as Cox communications, etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think that would be Telstra

Bigpond

Expert:  Juliene replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, Elisabeth. I would like for you to check your email settings to make sure they are correct. There are two setting for Big Pond since they are in transition. So I will give you both settings.

Incoming server settings:
POP Server: pop3.live.com
Please check "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)
Port: Port 995

Outgoing server settings:
SMTP Server: smtp.live.com
Please check "This server requires a secure connection" TLS or SSL

The other settings that Big Pond are using in transition are as follows:

Incoming mail server: mail.bigpond.com
Outgoing mail server: mail.bigpond.com
Username: Your email address (exampleXXX@XXXXXX.XXX)
Password: Your password.
If asked for Secure Password XXXXX it should be unselected.

I give you both methods as I am unsure if your provider has asked you via email to transfer over. Please check these setting and let me know if it corrected the problem. If not, there is one other thing to do. Thanks, Jay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where in the computer do find "server sttings"/ sorry, I'm not very good at this!

Expert:  Juliene replied 1 year ago.
Not to worry, Elisabeth. Open Window's Live Mail program by going to 'Start', 'All Programs', 'Windows Mail', then click on the 'Tools' menu, and then 'Accounts', from there you can check that the settings are correct. After you have verified the settings are correct, try to send a test message, if it is not working, you will need to need to disable your anti-virus so that it does not scan your email. We will go through those steps if need be. Please let me know if your settings are correct. Thanks, Jay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Checked the settings

Went to accounts and suddenly all my mail turned up

went back to normal inbox and sent a test mesage to a friend

Hope it keeps working!!!

The setting where like your first suggestion.

Thank you

Expert:  Juliene replied 1 year ago.
That is wonderful! If it begins to happen again, I suggest you turn off email scanning in your anti-virus. This will not effect protection of your computer. Thank you for your quick response and have a good day. Jay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Guess what? It just failed agian! I'm going to ring Big Pond and hang on the phone for an hour. I didn't know they where in "transition" to anything, and am not happy with them.

Thanks for trying!

Expert:  Juliene replied 1 year ago.
Okay Elisabeth that's fine, but the error you were getting can be involved with your anti-virus, you will need to turn off the anti-virus scanning of your email. This will not effect your computer at all. If you want, you can tell me which anti-virus you have and I can help you with that or if you know who to do it, try that first before you have to spend your day hanging on the phone. Thanks, Jay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would that be the Norton 360 Premier edition?

Expert:  Juliene replied 1 year ago.
Sure, Elisabeth. That is it. Start Norton 360, click settings, click anti-virus, on the 'scans and risks' tab and next to 'email anti-virus scan, move that slider to 'off', then click apply, and click 'OK'.

Then in Norton 360, click 'settings' under details settings, click 'Firewall', on the 'General settings' tab, next to firewall reset, click the '+' sign. In the confirmation window click 'yes', and then click 'apply' and 'close'. If that does not help with the situation, then you will have to contact Big Pond. Thanks, Jay
Juliene, IT Consultant
Experience: M.S. in Information Security & Assurance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well we've both been wasting our time! Big pond is down, possibly for another few hours or even tomorrow!!!!!!!!

Expert:  Juliene replied 1 year ago.
Oh my goodness! You'd think they tell their customers when they're having issues. That's just not right. At any rate, should you ever need anything else, please let me know. Jay