Molinari
Molinari, MS Office Tech
Experience:  Certified IT Guru
16561526

When I attempt to export a copy of a personal folder from Outlook

Customer Question

When I attempt to export a copy of a personal folder from Outlook (2003) on a Dell machine, to a .pst file on an external disc drive, I get the message 'The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists restart Outlook and try..."
This action does not help at all
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  James K. replied 2 years ago.
Hello

My name is James

Welcome to Just Answer

Try and Copy the Pst File Directly

Close Outlook

Then click Start >Control Panel > click small icons top Right > Then Click on the Mail Icon

Click Data Files

Then highlight the Data File you wish to copy > and Click Open Folder

Right Click Copy > then paste onto your External Drive , make Sure Outlook Is closed

let me know Any problems and i can remote on and do this for you

Please Rate my Answer with the Smiley Faces

Cheers James
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, James.

I now have a .pst file on my external drive. Howvever when I try to open it I am warned that doing so could damage my system. Also when I try anyway I am asked what program to use. when I respond Windows another question come up which I do not understand.
More help please

Expert:  James K. replied 2 years ago.
You Can open a Pst with Outlook

What are you trying to do
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Simply to confirm that I have a use-able back- up on my external drive.

Expert:  James K. replied 2 years ago.
Oh Ok

then open Outlook

click file>Open >Choose Outlook data File

Select the file on your external Drive and it will open on the Left hand side of Outlook

Cheers James

Please rate my Answer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am still trying to follow your instruction but Outlook stopped working and Windows has been trying to find a solution to this problem - usualy when this happens (quite frequently) the solution is a restart.

This has happened a few times when I try to open the version of Outlook on the external drive.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,

Expert:  James K. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks

Place the Pst File on the desktop

test you can open it confirm you happy with the back up and Move it to the External Drive

Then Remove the Pst File from Outlook of you will get errors opening it

If you wish i can Remote on and do this for you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks James .Let me give it a try

Expert:  James K. replied 2 years ago.
http://67.192.95.188:8040/?Session=c45913e3-60b1-4b32-85a8-8ce605a730d7&SUPPORT=NET

Click the Link above then

1) Click Agree
2) Download and Run the Screenconnect.exe
3) Click Run/OK/Yes if asked

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We continued a long way from here, with James trying all sorts of things without success.

I finally told him that I was exhausted and did not wish to continue the process.

I no longer have the time or patience to restart with another expert.

Thank you

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Lindie-mod

I am willing to wait for an expert to revert with a solution to my problem, but not someone who will restart the process on the trial and error basis followed to date.

I will be away from my machine for the next hour and a half

Regards

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.
Expert:  Molinari replied 2 years ago.
Ok, try to export it while in outlook safemode....

hold the CTRL key on your keyboard while you click the icon to start Outlook.

How large is the pst file?

When you copyit and try to open it, does it have the same name as another pst file in use by outlook?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I try to export Personal Files from Outlook I get the same message as at the start of this whole questioning.

It is 3.1 GB in size

When trying to copy it, the copy option is unavailable.

Expert:  Molinari replied 2 years ago.
Ok, have you tried right clicking on it, choosing copy, and then pasting (all while outlook is closed)?
Is the external drive a hard drive or dvd?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The copy instruction is unavailable when I right click

Hard drive

Expert:  Molinari replied 2 years ago.
Have you tried zippping it up into a file?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No ; how do I do that ?

Expert:  Molinari replied 2 years ago.

To compress a file or folder

1. Locate the file or folder that you want to compress.

2. Right-click the file or folder, point to Send To, and then click Compressed (zipped) Folder.

A new compressed folder is created. To rename it, right-click the folder, click Rename, and then type the new name.

1. Locate the compressed folder that you want to extract files or folders from.

2. Do one of the following:

• To extract a single file or folder, double-click the compressed folder to open it. Then, drag the file or folder from the compressed folder to a new location.

• To extract the entire contents of the compressed folder, right-click the folder, click Extract All, and then follow the instructions.

Notes

• If you add encrypted files to a compressed folder, the files will be unencrypted when extracted, which might result in unintentional disclosure of personal or sensitive information. For that reason, you should avoid compressing encrypted files.

• If you have already created a compressed folder and you want to add a new file or folder to it, drag the files you want to add to the compressed folder.

Let me know if you run into any trouble...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will have tpo leave it at that for today but will continue tomorrow.

Thank you Molinari

Expert:  Molinari replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I'll be here....
By any chance do you think it my be damaged?
You can run a scanpst on it....

How to Fix Corrupt PST Using ScanPST.exe and Running Email File Integrity for Processing

1. Copy the corrupt PST from the source and save locally to your machine.

2. Open ScanPST (typically located in one of the following folders)
a. C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\ (Outlook 2003)
b. C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033 (Outlook 2003)
c. C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12 (Outlook 2007)
d. C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14 (Outlook 2010)

3.To run the Inbox Repair Tool, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, and then point to Find or to Search, depending upon your operating system.
b. In the Search for files or folders named box, type scanpst.exe
c. Double click the Scanpst.exe file to open the Inbox Repair Tool.
d. Type the path and the file name of the personal folders (.pst) file or click Browse to locate the file by using the Windows file system.
e. Click Start. Run multiple times until error count is zero.
f. Copy the fixed PST back to source and append “_fixed” to file name for distinction.

Let me know what happens...