Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I am operating Windows XP. When I start up my computer I get

I am operating Windows XP. When I start up my computer I get the message -

Your system has no paging file or the paging file is too small.

I have clicked on all the systems they suggest but when I reach the end I have no idea what to do to alter this.

PLEASE help this old fool again.

Thanks, Ann
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

What is the current settings in your paging file there when you went to Control Panel, System, Advanced, Performance, Settings, Advanced, Change?

Is it set as System managed size?

To change your paging file in Windows XP, please do the following:
1.

Open System in Control Panel.

2.

On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.

3.

On the Advanced tab, under Virtual memory, click Change.

4.

Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.

5.

Under Paging file size for selected drive, click Custom size, and type a new paging file size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, and then click Set.

If you decrease the size of either the initial or maximum page file settings, you must restart your computer to see the effects of those changes. Increases typically do not require a restart.

Also, please note about the actual FREE space in your hard disk drive. It is shown as Space available. Now, when you set an initial size, you can set it to 3048 and then set the maximum to 4572. Then click the SET button.

NOTE: The size of the paging file that you can set MUST NOT be greater than the available size.

After those settings, restart the computer then see if the error message is gone and if your computer works normally this time.

Please be sure to rate my answer with 3 or more stars/faces if this helped. Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further. If you have further question, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The size that comes up is 1437; 2000. What do I do now?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ann,

Thank you for writing back. Can you delete that Initial-Max size then enter your preferred value? Also, what is shown as the Space Available in that screen? The space available must be greater than that of the Initial/Max entry that you will enter.

You also need to click to select Custom size so that you can edit 1437; 2000.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will do that but don't know what size I should type in. I will check the Space Available.

Many thanks.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Ann,

If you have enough "Space available", you can set it to 3048 and then set the maximum to 4572. Then click the SET button.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have entered those numbers but I still get the window when I start up my computer.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ann,

Thank you for writing back. Can you please tell me the "Space Available" in that screen?

Let me know.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I checked again. It says the total space is 1000,873MB. Does this help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure I typed it correctly. The figure is 100,873MB

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ann,

Thank you for that information.

The available disk space is large enough so you can now adjust the size of your virtual memory. Please do the procedures and access the location to set a custom size and make it "System Managed". In this case, you don't need to specify the amount of disk space to allocate as virtual memory since it is your Windows that will allocate for your system usage.

Now, if this System Managed (or Automatically manage paging file size) won';t work in your case, you need to use the CUSTOM size and increase the vlaues to 3894 (min) and 5842 maximum from your current settings which is 1437; 2000.

Restart the computer then test if the problem is now gone.

If the problem continues, please do the following cleanup procedures to ensure that your computer is safe, clean, optimized and registry error free.

Cleanup with CCleaner

NOTE: If you are using a program named Roboform, please do not proceed with CCleaner cleanup. Roboform Data will be removed by CCleaner.

Please download the FREE version of CCleaner from this link:

Download FREE CCleaner Here or this link http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

After you download the free tool, install it and run the scans and tests. By default, it runs CLEANER to cleanup from all system mess which includes all unwanted files, temporary files, temporary internet files, orphaned files and more. Make sure that all this mess that the Cleaner program has detected is removed. This will free up some space in your hard drive while speeding up your system as well.

Next, run REGISTRY Cleaner and fix the found problems. Run this REGISTRY cleaner several times and fix the issues until no issues will be found.

In order to run the Registry cleanup mode, open CCleaner, then look at the left panel of the CCleaner window. Locate and click the Registry link there and that should give you the Registry cleanup mode. Then click on the Scan for issues button. When the scan reached 100%, click FIX issues to remove the errors from your system. Then click the Scan for issues again then FIX whenever issues are still found. When no issues are found, close CCleaner.

Please don't forget to rate my answer with 3 or more stars/faces if this helped. Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further. If you have further question, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years