cpugeek
cpugeek, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  Years of experience deploying and supporting MS Office to small and large organizations.
54738002

Trying to convert publlisher document into 100% cmyk for commercial

Customer Question

Trying to convert publlisher document into 100% cmyk for commercial print?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  cpugeek replied 2 years ago.

I'd be happy to assist you today.

What version of Publisher are you using?

Also, is the file you're working with something you can share with me, so I can look at it directly?

If so, can you please go to www.wikisend.com and, using the upload tab, upload the file. When the upload is complete, please copy the File ID from the download page you are shown and copy it back here in your reply.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello. We are using Publisher 2010. Yes, we can share a piece of this document. I have uploaded one page for you, it is 16 pages long so I'm sure you can imagine the level of frustration this is causing. :-/

Here is the file ID:

File ID: 204022

Please let me know if you need anything further from us.

Thank you kindly for all your help, we are looking so forward to your assistance.

Expert:  cpugeek replied 2 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for the reply and the file.

I'll take a look right now and follow up with you with any information I have of benefit.

Thank you again, and I'll be in touch soon.

Expert:  cpugeek replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I've looked at your file and the only thing I can come up with is the fact that the images are embedded rather than linked.

If memory serves (admittedly it's been a while since I've used CMYK), CMYK files must use linked, rather than embedded, images.

Have you tried the following steps with the file open?

First convert the base file to CMYK:

1. Go to File->Info-Commercial Print Settings->Choose Color Model

2. Choose Process colors (CMYK) from the list.

3. Verify Inks and colors

4. Click Ok.

Now convert the images to linked images:

5. Click View

6. Click "Graphics Manager"; graphics manager opens on right side.

7. Click "show thumbnail" (not totally necessary, but easier for me)

8. Click the down arrow on each image file and select "save as linked picture"

8a. When prompted, choose/create an image folder, then click save

8b. Repeat this step for each image.

9. Click Save

When I perform the tasks this way, the file and images retain their CMYK process settings.

Please let me know if this is of any assistance to you.

Thank you.

---------------

If my answer did not resolve your question, please click "reply" instead of leaving feedback; you aren't required to rate every individual answer, and follow up questions are always allowed as there is often more than one answer to any particular question.

If my assistance was of benefit, please click "accept" and leave positive feedback (4 or 5); this is the only way I am recognized for providing assistance.

Sincerely.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your suggestion. A few questions;

1.) Are you also using Publisher 2010? After deeply researching this issue it seems as though this was an issue for 2003 and still again with the release of 2010.. Many customers were/are threatening to use a different program that is 3 times the price just bc there are far more elements (of course expected with the increase of price) but more importantly this is not an issue in the least.

2.) I have followed your instructions, hoping to get different results, unfortunately, after completing the process and going back to check, it still appears as it did prior to the attempt to update. When you do this, are you able to see that your changes took place, if so where? If not, how are you confident that the end result is surely 100% cmyk?

3.) Are you familiar with this ongoing issue, or is this the first you have heard. I ask this bc when you go to:

Commercial Print Settings

Choose "Colors"

Click "CMYK (0,0,0,100)

Right click, choose "Change"

Click on the "Custom" tab

At first glance it appears as 100% black b/c Cyan =0, Magenta = 0 , Yellow = 0 and Black =100

HOWEVER when you look a the slide reader on the right hand side of the color chart you will see that it is NOT at very bottom of the scale... it is actually at 94%, THIS is what tells you that the text or image that you have selected is not truly 100%... Once you drag it to the very bottom of the scale you will see the black color in the box below it turn 100% black...

So............ Not sure if I just wasted your time explaining that b.c you already were aware.. But I have done this for a portion of the text and image boxes of my 16 pages, which has taken an incredible amount of time.. (that I don't have) only to look back at them and see they are not reading as being updated?? Maybe this is another downfall to this issue is that they are converting to 100% black but not reading as so?

We are creating this document in Publisher only to have to convert it to a PDF file so that it may be submitted to a Commercial Print Company.

My next concern with this is, after reading numerous blogs, forums, help centers, etc.. and now attempting to pay for an resolution: I also have read that even if your changes do take place: Once you convert to a pdf file, it all reverts back to before all your time of editing!

So, if you have anything else that may help, please reply. If not. I appreciate all your hard work and efforts.. Hopefully I find an answer soon, if so I would be happy to share it with you so that if you get this question in the future, you can pass the blessing on.. :-)

Expert:  cpugeek replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

I am using 2010, yes.

You're right about the setting; I was apparently too hasty in my review of the color setting after making the change. I believe what caused me to go astray was the fact that when I was clicking the slider I saw the values change to the lesser black/gray values, then move to 000 100 as I was sliding. When I returned I looked at the values instead of the slider; my sincere apologies for that oversight and for consuming your time in that way.

I tried setting Acrobat as my default printer and adjusting those settings prior to editing the file, as most applications will only render/permit changes which are consistent with the printing destination selected. That, however, didn't yield any benefit either.

If you are well versed in Acrobat for prepress (I am not, unfortunately), you can get a 30 day trial of PitStop Pro from Enfocus; from what I've read, using this plugin with Acrobat will resolve the issue with Publisher's lack of true black capability, and the plug-in has a 30 day trial period. Using the color converter (among other things), you can choose the output intent and convert colors based on that output intent, including promoting gray to cmyk black.

Registering and using the plugin will allow you to use any of the standards available as dfaults (Europe, Japan, or US), and edit them to your need as well, for the 30 days. This would allow you to finish this effort without spending the money on the plugin at the moment, and allow more time for research of a resolution.

The download for the plugin is at this address:
http://www.enfocus.com/en/products/pitstop-pro#new (there is a free trial link on this page)

Again, my apologies. I will opt out of the question and let another expert take over who is more familiar with prepress in Acrobat and may be able to assist you with the plugin and the preflight (or may have other information regarding publisher) if you like, but I don't see a fix for publisher natively.

I would be interested in knowing if a workaround exists if one is located, most definitely, and I will keep searching as well.

Thank you very much for the opportunity to assist you and, again, accept my apologies.

Sincerely.