Erik B.
Erik B., Consultant
Experience:  Well versed in several editions of Microsoft Office.
18224842

Suddenly this morning when I attempt to access Word, Excel

Suddenly this morning when I attempt to access Word, Excel or PowerPoint in my Office 2010, I get a message saying there is no record that this is a legitimate copy of the program. I registered it when I bought it over a year ago! Help!
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be happy to try and assist you with this issue today.

Is your computer running Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7? Our best bet here is to run a System Restore to yesterday to see if that fixes the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Windows 7

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
OK great, let's try a quick system restore and see if that corrects our problem. Here is what I want you to do:

1. Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore.
  2. Click Next on the first window.
  3. Click the box for Show More Restore Points so that all points are displayed.
  4. Highlight a restore point from yesterday.
  5. Click Next.
  6. Click Finish and wait for the restore to complete (the system will reboot).

When the system comes back up, test Word and Excel. Then come back to www.justanswer.com and click on My Questions to let me know how it went. I will be here. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you there? It didn't work. The message is saying there is no record of the license yet I have the Product Key in front of me and it's been working just fine.

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
I am here! OK can you give me the exact error message please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here it is: "Microsft Office Home & Student 2010 cannot verify the license for this product. You should repair the Office program by using Control Panel."

But how to do that?

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Gotcha, please do the following for me:

1. Hold down the Windows key and press the R key to open the Run window.
  2. Type appwiz.cpl and click OK. This will open the Programs and Features window.
  3. Scroll down to your Microsoft Office entry, highlight it and click the Change button.
  4. In the window that appears, choose to Repair the installation and then complete the wizard.

After the repair runs, are you able to open Word, etc.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got a message at the end that the uninstall for Office didn't complete properly and I still cannot access any of it.

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
OK do you still have your installation disks, or do you just have the product key card?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have the disc.

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
OK what we want to do then is remove it completely and then reinstall it. Here's how:

1. Highlight the Microsoft Office entry again and this time click on Uninstall.
  2. In the window that appears confirm the uninstall and let the uninstallation process complete.
  3. After the uninstall, CLICK HERE to download the MS Office cleanup tool.
  4. Choose to run the tool and then complete the short wizard.
  5. After the wizard completes, insert your Office disk and reinstall it.

Let me know how it goes; I will be here!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. See you in a few.

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Sure thing! Take your time I will be here. thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got the message that the uninstall worked, then ran the Fix It. Got a message that the Fixit "failed to process".

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
That is OK; that tool just ensures that everything is gone. If it is then the fixit will fail. Go ahead and run the disk now and reinstall. Keep me posted!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What is going to happen to all my data I had in Word and Excel?

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Oh don't worry about that; it will all still be there. We have only remove the program files and now we are just replacing them. All of the actual data (documents, spreadsheets, etc.) will still be there, I promise!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank goodness! :)

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Yes I should have stated something to that effect before, sorry about that! let me know what happens after the install. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I clicked on Word and got a message that it's a free trial and I can buy by Oct. 2!

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Did you enter your product key from the case?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. The second time it looked like Word opened OK. However, I don't have an icon for PowerPoint.

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
What version of Office does your disk/case say you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

14.0.4763.1000

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
OK if you hold down the WIndows key on your keyboard and press the R key the Run window should open. If you type powerpnt and click OK does Powerpoint open?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

"iexplore www.norton.com/nis12" came up.

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Hm that is weird. If you click on the Start button, then click on All Programs you should see the Microsoft Office folder. Click on that, is PowerPoint there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, if I do that PowerPoint opens. There must be a way to get an icon! :) Had one before.

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely there is! Just right click that PowerPoint entry and choose Send to -> Desktop. The icon should then appear on the desktop.

Let me know if you have any problems with that by clicking on Reply to Expert. I will be here. Thanks so much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yep, got it. Thank you so much for your patience and help!

Expert:  Erik B. replied 1 year ago.
Awesome, thank you! Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
Erik B., Consultant
Experience: Well versed in several editions of Microsoft Office.