Erik B.
Erik B., Consultant
Experience:  Well versed in several editions of Microsoft Office.
18224842

Suddenly this morning when I attempt to access Word, Excel

Suddenly this morning when I attempt to access Word, Excel or PowerPoint in my Office 2010, I get a message saying there is no record that this is a legitimate copy of the program. I registered it when I bought it over a year ago! Help!
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be happy to try and assist you with this issue today.

Is your computer running Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7? Our best bet here is to run a System Restore to yesterday to see if that fixes the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Windows 7

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
OK great, let's try a quick system restore and see if that corrects our problem. Here is what I want you to do:

1. Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore.
  2. Click Next on the first window.
  3. Click the box for Show More Restore Points so that all points are displayed.
  4. Highlight a restore point from yesterday.
  5. Click Next.
  6. Click Finish and wait for the restore to complete (the system will reboot).

When the system comes back up, test Word and Excel. Then come back to www.justanswer.com and click on My Questions to let me know how it went. I will be here. Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are you there? It didn't work. The message is saying there is no record of the license yet I have the Product Key in front of me and it's been working just fine.

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
I am here! OK can you give me the exact error message please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Here it is: "Microsft Office Home & Student 2010 cannot verify the license for this product. You should repair the Office program by using Control Panel."

But how to do that?

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
Gotcha, please do the following for me:

1. Hold down the Windows key and press the R key to open the Run window.
  2. Type appwiz.cpl and click OK. This will open the Programs and Features window.
  3. Scroll down to your Microsoft Office entry, highlight it and click the Change button.
  4. In the window that appears, choose to Repair the installation and then complete the wizard.

After the repair runs, are you able to open Word, etc.?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I got a message at the end that the uninstall for Office didn't complete properly and I still cannot access any of it.

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
OK do you still have your installation disks, or do you just have the product key card?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have the disc.

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
OK what we want to do then is remove it completely and then reinstall it. Here's how:

1. Highlight the Microsoft Office entry again and this time click on Uninstall.
  2. In the window that appears confirm the uninstall and let the uninstallation process complete.
  3. After the uninstall, CLICK HERE to download the MS Office cleanup tool.
  4. Choose to run the tool and then complete the short wizard.
  5. After the wizard completes, insert your Office disk and reinstall it.

Let me know how it goes; I will be here!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK. See you in a few.

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
Sure thing! Take your time I will be here. thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I got the message that the uninstall worked, then ran the Fix It. Got a message that the Fixit "failed to process".

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
That is OK; that tool just ensures that everything is gone. If it is then the fixit will fail. Go ahead and run the disk now and reinstall. Keep me posted!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What is going to happen to all my data I had in Word and Excel?

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
Oh don't worry about that; it will all still be there. We have only remove the program files and now we are just replacing them. All of the actual data (documents, spreadsheets, etc.) will still be there, I promise!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank goodness! :)

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
Yes I should have stated something to that effect before, sorry about that! let me know what happens after the install. Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I clicked on Word and got a message that it's a free trial and I can buy by Oct. 2!

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
Did you enter your product key from the case?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. The second time it looked like Word opened OK. However, I don't have an icon for PowerPoint.

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
What version of Office does your disk/case say you have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

14.0.4763.1000

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
OK if you hold down the WIndows key on your keyboard and press the R key the Run window should open. If you type powerpnt and click OK does Powerpoint open?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

"iexplore www.norton.com/nis12" came up.

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
Hm that is weird. If you click on the Start button, then click on All Programs you should see the Microsoft Office folder. Click on that, is PowerPoint there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, if I do that PowerPoint opens. There must be a way to get an icon! :) Had one before.

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
Absolutely there is! Just right click that PowerPoint entry and choose Send to -> Desktop. The icon should then appear on the desktop.

Let me know if you have any problems with that by clicking on Reply to Expert. I will be here. Thanks so much!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yep, got it. Thank you so much for your patience and help!

Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
Awesome, thank you! Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
Erik B., Consultant
Experience: Well versed in several editions of Microsoft Office.