Pete, Computer Expert
Experience:  MS Office expert

In Word 2010 - How do you keep Exhibit A, B, C to be included

In Word 2010 - How do you keep Exhibit A, B, C to be included in your index page numbering.

When I hit insert index - the page numbering lists 1, 2, 3, 1, 3
The particular word marked is on page 1, 2, 3 and Exhibit A-1 and Exhibit B-3 but the A- nor the B- shows up in the page numbering of that index. How can I get this to work with Exhibit A and Exhibit B listed correctly in the index. This gets really confusing.
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

If the index page number does not appear correctly, you will need to edit it:

1. To do this, find the XE field for the entry that you want to change, for example, { XE "Exhibit A-1" \t "See 1" }.
- If you don't see the XE fields, click Show/Hide in the Paragraph group on the Home tab.

2. To edit or format an index entry, change the text inside the quotation marks.

3. To update the index, click the index, and then press F9. Or click Update Index in the Index group on the References tab.