cpugeek
cpugeek, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  Years of experience deploying and supporting MS Office to small and large organizations.
54738002

Hello. I just installed Office 2010, and Outlook will not

Hello. I just installed Office 2010, and Outlook will not open. i am getting an error message that says, "Cannot start MS Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. Errors have been detected in the file C:\Users\Raleigh\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst." Please help!!! Thank you
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  cpugeek replied 2 years ago.

I'd be happy to assist you.

Please close Outlook, then proceed as follows:

Step 1: Find the Inbox Repair tool

To use the Inbox Repair tool, locate one of the folders by using Microsoft Windows Explorer (Computer or My Computer on your desktop), and then double-click the Scanpst.exe file.

The Scanpst.exe file for Outlook 2010 is typically located in the following folder:
c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
or
c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office(x86)\Office14

Step 2: Run the Inbox Repair Tool
Double click the Scanpst.exe file to open the Inbox Repair Tool.
Type the path and the file name of the personal folders (.pst) file or click Browse to locate the PST file.

In your case, you would want to go to or type the following:
C:\Users\Raleigh\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst

Click Start.

After you run the Inbox Repair Tool and restart Outlook, you should see a list of recovered folders in the left navigation pane in Outlook.

The next step is to move the recovered items to a new Personal Folders (.pst) file in your profile. To do this, use the steps in the following section.

Step 3: Recover items after you run the Inbox Repair tool

To start, create a new Personal Folders (.pst) file entry in your profile.
On the View or Go menu, click Folder List to turn on the Folder List view.
In your Folder List, you should see the following recovered folders:
Recovered Personal Folders

Calendar
Contacts
Deleted Items
Inbox
Journal
Notes
Outbox
Sent Items
Tasks

These recovered folders are usually empty because this is a rebuilt .pst file.

You should also see a folder named Lost and Found. This folder contains folders and items that the Inbox Repair Tool recovered. Unfortunately, items that are missing from the Lost and Found folder may be beyond repair.

Outlook 2010
Click on the File tab on the ribbon, and then click the Info tab on the menu.
Click the Account Settings button, and then click Account Settings again.
Click the Data Files tab.
Click Add to open the Create or Open Outlook Data File dialog box.
Enter a file name for your new Outlook Data (.pst) file, and then click OK.
You should have a new Outlook Data (.pst) file in your profile.

Drag the recovered items from the Lost and Found folder to your new Personal Folders (.pst) file.

When you have finished moving all items, you can remove the Recovered Personal Folders (.pst) file from your profile. This includes the Lost and Found folder.

If you are satisfied with the information that you recovered, you are finished.

Please let me know if you run into any issues or have questions along the way.

If these instructions don't resolve the issue, please click reply instead of leaving feedback, and we'll take another route to resolve the issue for you.

Sincerely
--------------
If my assistance was of benefit, please click "accept" and leave positive feedback (4 or 5); it is the only way I am recognized for my efforts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for your help. I have spent quite a bit of time on this. I was unable to locate the Inbox Repair Tool on my computer. From your suggestions and a google search, I found and purchased a downloadable utility called Stellar Phoenix Outlook PST Repair. After installing and running this, it did locate the missing file on a backup drive. It supposedly repaired it. However, Outlook still does not open at all, and I'm getting the same error message. Would you have any more advice for me on this? I have now spent: $200 on Office 2010, $129 on Stellar Phoenix, and $38 on you (no offense), so this is getting both frustrating and expensive. Thanks much for your help.
Expert:  cpugeek replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for the reply.

The money you have paid to JustAnswer is held in deposit until you accept an answer from one of the experts. If your issue does not get resolved, you can request a refund of your deposit. Hope that helps ease at least a little of the frustration.

Let's try what is known as an office repair. To perform this task, please do the following:
Click Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features.
A new window will open; scroll through the list until you find the Office program you want to repair (it will say something like Microsoft Office Professional 2010, or similar)
Single click on it with your mouse, then click the "Change" button at the top of the list.
A new window will open.
In the new window, select "Repair", then click the "continue" button.

Allow the repair to run, after which you will receive a prompt that it is complete.
I would suggest restarting your computer afterward, then attempt to open Outlook again.

Please reply here with the results when you are able.

Thank you very much.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the prompt response. I definitely appreciate the help here, and my frustration is with the software, definitely not with this service and your suggestions.

I ran the Office Repair, just as you suggested. Unfortunately it did not resolve the problem. I am still getting the same error message upon attempting to open Outlook.

I have decided to take my computer to a local PC repair shop. I don't know what else to do. It is only Outlook that is not functioning... All other applications and programs are working perfectly. Strange, but I'm hoping they can fix it.

Thanks again.

Raleigh
Expert:  cpugeek replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. Another thing you can do is to remove outlook altogether and reinstall it. It only takes a moment.

If you remove the pst file it thinks is corrupt between the uninstall Ams reinstall, that should help as well.

Would you like instructions for this?

Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I'm done... Way too much time, $ and energy spent on this already. I'm a layman... Time to take it to a pro. Thanks again, and I want to make sure you get paid and well rated for your efforts.
Expert:  cpugeek replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I understand and thank you very much.

If you would like to, please click "accept" and leave positive feedback (4 or 5), and accept my thanks for allowing me to assist you. It was my pleasure.

Sincerely.
cpugeek, Information Systems Manager
Experience: Years of experience deploying and supporting MS Office to small and large organizations.