flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  degree in comp sci. 20+ years install work with networks for small and large companies
23372949

I have a "corruption" in Outlook. I have paid over $200 to

I have a "corruption" in Outlook. I have paid over $200 to have this "fixed by a company in I assume, India. The Tech's can barely speak english although they are names "Paul" or "Matt" or something. Anyway, I CANNOT lose my files from Outlook. I have Gamil through it. I have 20K plus emails in my Gmail account, I have tried to delete some of them but it doesn't appear to have worked. Initially when it was uploaded to my new computer, there were 2 or 3 files of "Inbox" showing with 20 some emails in each one. They couldn't seem to delete these files, which are duplicates, and that makes no sense. Whats more, when you look at the "Processes" tab, the Outlook ones seems to be running so much juice that I could power the space station. Please tell me if there is any way to fix the corruption or if I am doomed to losing my files and I have to start all over. All of the emails that I have in Subfiles in Outlook are still IN the Gmail account, I just wouldn't be able to find them easily in the main account. Sometime they come under faxes etc...and I would not know where they came from. Example: I recieve a faxed contract from another Agent through my "MyFax" account...Please tell me whether or not it can be done, if so for how much. Thx...Danae
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 2 years ago.

Well if they are still in gmail we can get them back to outlook. But of course they wouldnt be sorted into subfolders. If you had some sort of rules by which you sorted them ie if it was from a certain person it goes in this folder if it had xxx in the subject line it goes in that folder we could set those up to do it automatically for you.

As for the old outlook file we can certainly try but if it doesnt come right up every recovery process or utility that i know of will lose the folders as part of the recovery process so its not a lot of use to you.

If you had 30,000 emails in one folder it most likely did get corrupted. Outlook is designed to work with 500 mb of storage space. Above 2 gb microsoft flat out says its not supported and wont work. What you need to do is archive them. that puts the older ones into seperate pst data files where you can try to keep each of them well below 2 gb.

Here is about the only thing that you can try.

go to control panel / mail ( if its windows 7 it will be under family )

click on profiles

create a new profile

give it a name

tell it that you dont want to add any email accounts to avoid it downloading 30k gmails

check the box for prompt for profile on startup or to use the new profile when outlook starts

from the windows start menu search box

search for *.pst

You will need to set it to search in hidden and system folders. If that is not obvious to you how to do it i need to know what operating system you are using to tell you how.

locate the pst file that has most of your data. It will probably be the largest one and you can see how much over 2gb it is just to see.

copy it to my documents folder

open the outlook

You dont say what version you are using. In 2007 you would go to

file / data file management

click the add button its kind of on the top but not the very top of the window

browse to my documents and select the pst file that you copied

click ok etc

you should now have a second set of personal folders with all of your old data in it folders and all.

It may take awhile to be able to open them as outlook will have to reindex them all. That could easily take hours when its that large. But if it gives you an error when you try to add the file there is probably nothing that you can do to get the folders back and it would be easier to download them from gmail and sort them out again than to try to recover from the pst file and STILL have to sort them out again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am using Windows 7...and I am copy pasting everything that comes up when I type *.Pst in the search bar, I get 9 files...it appears to me that they have saved and resaved the files under different names, some are 7.68 GB. What would happen if I deleted them? BTW...copy paste didnt work...do you want me to hand write them? Or can you do logmein to look?

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 2 years ago.

No you dont want to delete them

what happened when you tried the copy and paste?

right click on the one that you think is the correct one.

select properties

make sure that it does not say system or read only

This may take a while but you can try doing a disk check to make sure that the problem is not with the drive

in my computer

right click on the c drive and select properties

under tools tab there should be a "check disk for errors"

select that and check the box for fix automatically

let it run.

then you can try to copy it again but

As long as you know what folder they are in you dont need to copy them just in the directions from my first post instead of browsing to my documents browse to where they are now.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you do "Logmein" and fix it? I am afraid to screw things up! And no, I didn't do anything yet because I don't understand. And the copy paste didn't work because, well...it didn't. sometimes you cant paste from something to another.
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 2 years ago.

I am not allowed to do the logmein thing. I wish i could. But i am the best you are going to get to tell you how to fix it

I assume the copy and paste you are talking about is to copy them to my documents ?

It may just be too large to copy.

Its already not working and nothing that i told you to do is going to make it worse. You can try creating the new outlook profile and adding the pst file as per the instructions either first copying it or just browsing to the folder where you know it is. That wont hurt anything. Either the file is good enough for outlook to read or its not. there are repair programs but they will all get rid of the folders and just recover the emails so there is not much point in using them. If you cant add the pst file and have it just come up and work you can use the new profile and add your gmail account to it and let it download. for a long time then resort them. Again if you have a way to make rules to do this i can tell you how to create the rules.

But first try just making the new profile and adding the pst file

click on profiles

create a new profile

give it a name

from the windows start menu search box

search for *.pst

locate the pst file that has most of your data.

open the outlook

file / data file management

browse to the folder that you found the pst file in and select the pst file that you copied

click ok etc

If it works it will pop up as a second set of personal folders with everything in them.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I wait till later to do this when I am not so busy? I do not want to have to re-pay for this help but I can't focus on it right now. Also, I want to go back in to gmail and delete some more stuff first.
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 2 years ago.

Certainly. Add this page to your favorates by clicking ctrl D and you can bounce right back in by selecting it from your favorates list.

I am on an offline many times during most days. as soon as i see your next post i will respond to it.

Deleting from the gmail is a good idea. The less it has to download the better if it comes down to that which it probably will. But who knows you might get really lucky and it will pop right up at least long enough to archive most of them.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

To give you a better picture, I hand wrote all of this because it wouldnt copy-paste. When I put "*.pst" into my search under the start button, this is what comes up...and I think they have duplicated and replicated the file several times:

Documents (4)

1 Outlook data file -Outlook 2 0.98 MB

2 Outlook 7.68GB

3 My Outlook Data File (1) 265KB

4 Archive 840MB

FILES (9)

mortgage.jim@gmail 376MB

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX (4) 265KB

C2P Public Folders 4.13MB

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX 47.5GB

backup 5.42GB

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX (2) 265KB

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX (2) 265KB shows 2x

Test 455MB

Outlook 43.8MB

How many times is the exact same infomation on my computer, and what of that list can be deleted, if anything? thx...djw

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 2 years ago.
I think the 7 gb is the one that you want. But i wouldnt delete anything until you looked at it and the only way to do that is to make a new profile and add the pst back to it. The smaller ones are probably what they managed to pull out of it or a failed copy. No way to really tell unless you actually add it and see whats there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry...I am so busy that I haven't had a chance to so what you said and I am sooooo scared to do it...What if I mees this up? I am no good with this kind of thing!

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 2 years ago.

Like i said it is already screwed up. If you have a friend that is a little more comfortable doing this sort of thing i would be happy to work with them.

But nothing that i have told you to do with screw up anything any worse than it already is and nothing i have told you to do can not be reversed easily.

flopcat98, Consultant
Experience: degree in comp sci. 20+ years install work with networks for small and large companies