Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years

Every time I try to print an excell sheet or workbook my Excel

Every time I try to print an excell sheet or workbook my Excel stops working or shuts down. I have HP series C4200 and C4380 printer, same thing happens on both printers, i have chengedthem over to see if it still occurs. Does not seem to happen when at work and using another printer, but at home with HP its dreadful.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am glad to assist you today.
  1. Is this happening only when you are printing from MS Excel? What about when printing from MS Word or Notepad?
  2. Are you using Excel 2007 or 2010?
  3. Are you using Windows XP, Vista or 7?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jess, responses as follows;
1. Only with MS Excel
2. Excel 2010
3. Windows 7
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mark,

Thank you for that information. You mentioned that you have 2 HP printers installed in this computer. Are these printers connected to the computer using a USB cable? Did you use just one cable for this 2 printers?

Also, you mentioned that you hae tried to print using another printer at work. Is htis computer a laptop or a desktop?

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a C4380 HP, which was connected but because the problem was occurring every time I wanted to print an excel doc i went and got the older printer C4280 out of its box to try that, same problem. Each have their own USB cables and printers are connected by USB, the newest one should connect by WiFi but I am unable to do this for some reason.
At work I have a Samsung Printer, Konica Minolter and Brother printers - no problems printing to any in my office system.
This is a DELL Vostro 3500 Laptop (32 Bit Operating Systems) it it work provided so not sure what levels I can adjust too as a user - not sure if I am administrator?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that Information. If you are using Windows 7, go to Start => Control Panel => User Accounts. You shall see there if your account is an Administrator.

Since the computer prints normally from other programs like Word or Notepad, in any of your printers, I believe that this is more of an Excel issue and not a printer issue.

First, please try to open your Excel 2010 software in Safe Mode, then load your Excel file, then test printing.

To open Excel in Safe Mode, please do these steps:
  1. Close Excel first if it is already running
  2. Click Start => All Programs and locate the program launcher or shortcut for Excel 2010
  3. DO NOT click to open it yet
  4. Instead, press and hold the CTRL key, then click on Excel icon to open it
  5. A prompt will show up. Click on OK or YES to confirm the action
  6. Then Excel shall open with (Safe Mode) at the top of the title bar or window
  7. Now, open or load your Excel file then test printing

Please be sure to rate my answer with 3 or more stars/smileys if this helped. Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further. If you have further question, please use the Continue the Conversation tab to reply to me.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This did not help, I had 3 windows pop up as usual in the following order;
1. MS Excel has stopped woking
2. MS Excel is trying to recover the document
3. MS Excel has stopped working/close programme

Please advise
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Mark, thank you for that information.

Is your Excel file in XLSX format? Or is it in Excel 97/2003 format that shown [Compatibility Mode] at the top of your title bar?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jess, some are XLSX and some XLS about 50% of each?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Mark,

Excel stops responding when printing both XLSX and XLS files? Or only with XLS files?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ones I have been using are mainly XLS, It happens in both formats though, as soon as I press the print button it say's "MS Excel has stopped working", etc, etc?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Mark,

Let us test if the particular file or file format is causing the issue. Open Excel and try to create a new worksheet and just enter anything in cell A1 and save it as XLSX. Then try to print it then see if it prints just fine.

If all print jobs in your Excel will cause it to freeze, then we can proceed to disabling startup programs and services or even repairing Excel.

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I opened a new sheet, saved as book1.xlsx, it then printed, when I then went to close it (white cross top right in red box) MS Excel stopped working/then trying to recover/then close programme etc etc.

Mark
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information.

Here are the few thing that you can do and you can do them in the order they are presented and make sure that you test printing in Excel after each set of procedures. Do not proceed to the succeeding set of steps if the issue is resolved already.

A. Run the FixIt tool

Please click on this link to go to the FixIt tool:
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9668700

Click Run in the File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.

Then test if the issue is gone.

B. Set Microsoft XPS Document Writer as the Default Printer

To test whether the issue is Excel failing to communicate with the printer drivers correctly, please go to Start => Devices and Printers.

Locate the Microsoft XPS Document Writer there in the list of printers, right click on it then click on "Set as Default Printer"

Close all windows, open Excel then test printing.

C. Delete/Disable all Add-ins or Plugins in your Excel 2010

Please click on this FixIt link:
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9668707

I hope that helped. Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Microsft Fixit does not apply to my operating system or application version for both suggestions A & C above after downloading and selecting RUN.

On suggestion B, how do I test printing when the MS XPS Document writer (printer) is not attached to my computer/confused with this suggestion..
Please advise?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
No. Just set the default printer to be the XPS doc writer. Then test printing with the physical printer that you have there, the HP one, then see if Excel won't freeze.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok that seemed to do the job, what does that mean/imply and why does this happen? Dont want to keep having to change printer over each time I print something?

Mark
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying that the problem stopped now that you set the XPS Document writer as the default printer? Even printing XLSX or XLS files in your HP printer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems so, probably start again as soon as we break comms!

What do I do now?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mark,

Thank you for writing back. I am sorry for the late reply. Please bookmark this page or add to your favorites so that you can get back to me any time easily.

Now, after the problem stops when you set the XPS document writer as your default printer, this simply means that you have a printer driver issue. This happens because Excel's interaction with print drivers is different than any other Office application, in that, it communicates with the print driver at various times (adding rows, columns, images, ect...), NOT JUST when printing It sends raw data to the print driver and depends fully on the print driver to compile and render the image. Word and other applications deliver a 'compiled' package to the print driver. (Source: Microsoft)

To resolve this issue, please try the following:
  1. Update your Windows. Go to Control Panel and open Windows Updates. Allow it to fetch the recent updates and install them. Most of the driver issues are corrected by applying certain patches through Windows Updates. If your Windows and MS Office are up to date, then proceed to the next step.
  2. Update your HP Printer drivers. If you are just using the CD that case with the printer to install the print drivers, then the contents of the CD could be outdated already. Please go to the HP driver page then download the recent drivers for your HP printers. However, you need to cleanup your system first before installing the updated HP drivers.

• Go to Control Panel => Programs and Features and UNINSTALL all of your HP printer software and drivers
    • After the removal, please restart the computer
    • After restarting, please do the following cleanup procedures to ensure that your computer is clean, optimized and registry error free.

Cleanup with CCleaner

NOTE: If you are using a program named Roboform, please do not proceed with CCleaner cleanup. Roboform Data will be removed by CCleaner.

Please download the FREE version of CCleaner from this link:

Download FREE CCleaner Here or this link http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

After you download the free tool, install it and run the scans and tests. By default, it runs CLEANER to cleanup from all system mess which includes all unwanted files, temporary files, temporary internet files, orphaned files and more. Make sure that all this mess that the Cleaner program has detected is removed. This will free up some space in your hard drive while speeding up your system as well.

Next, run REGISTRY Cleaner and fix the found problems. Run this REGISTRY cleaner several times and fix the issues until no issues will be found.

In order to run the Registry cleanup mode, open CCleaner, then look at the left panel of the CCleaner window. Locate and click the Registry link there and that should give you the Registry cleanup mode. Then click on the Scan for issues button. When the scan reached 100%, click FIX issues to remove the errors from your system. Then click the Scan for issues again then FIX whenever issues are still found. When no issues are found, close CCleaner.

• After the cleanup, please proceed to the HP driver site for your printer models and download the printer drivers. You have the option to download just the printer drivers or the entire printer software (drivers + software)

For the HP PhotoSmart C4280 printer, here is the download link:
      HP C4280 Drivers Page

For the HP PhotoSmart C4380 printer, here is the download link:
      HP C4380 Drivers Page

• Please make sure that when you install these printers, please DO NOT connect them to the computer while you install the software. Only connect it when the installer prompts you to do so.

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years