MacAppleTech
MacAppleTech, MS Office Specialist
Experience:  16+ Years experience with MS Office Suites..

Ive lost a word file today although I saved as I went along.

I've lost a word file today although I saved as I went along. I only have an earlier version on file, How can I get it back please?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  MacAppleTech replied 1 year ago.

MacAppleTech :

Hello and thank you for your question, my name isXXXXX Support Specialist, glad to assist you today.

MacAppleTech :

The Word document you are seeking, do you typically save it in one location on your PC, like the Documents folder, or a custom folder you have created for saving Word documents to?

Customer:

Hi my name isXXXXX is actually for my husband who has lost a Word file on his mac today.

Customer:

It was saved to desktop as usual

MacAppleTech :

Thanks for clarifying that Shari

MacAppleTech :

Have you checked the Trash for that missing document?

Customer:

Just re checking that now thanks

MacAppleTech :

thanks- I will standby

Customer:

is there a way to search trash by date?

MacAppleTech :

No, actually the best way to check for any document is to put the document's name

MacAppleTech :

in the Spotlight box which is the magnifying glass icon located in the upper right corner of your screen

MacAppleTech :

that searches your entire Mac OS X volume directory

MacAppleTech :

for any files as long as you still know the name of that file

Customer:

No sign of any word doc with that name, except identical versions to the orginal. This was modified and saved as he went along but doesn't seem to exist with any edits at all.

MacAppleTech :

and you have checked your Trash bin, correct?

Customer:

Yes. Any other ideas please?

MacAppleTech :

and the modified document,

MacAppleTech :

was the named changed that was in anyway different than the original Word document, first created?

Customer:

No, the same name all through.

MacAppleTech :

Because if I am understanding you correctly Shari, you are looking for an original document that has been modified, but has the same name as the original document

Customer:

Yes that's it.

MacAppleTech :

So, that being the case, what I would suggest you do is open the original word document

Customer:

Ok doing that now

MacAppleTech :

and then from the open document's main toolbar

MacAppleTech :

click on File

MacAppleTech :

and select Open Recent from the menu

Customer:

ok done that

Customer:

Yes done that now

MacAppleTech :

that should allow you to see at least the last 5-7 documents accessed most recently

MacAppleTech :

now if you cannot locate that modifed document here

MacAppleTech :

or can see it in the Trash,

MacAppleTech :

that means somehow the modifications made to it may not have saved like they were supposed to be

MacAppleTech :

I know this anomaly does sometimes occur in Word docs both in PCs and Macs

Customer:

Yes - we think that is possible. He definitely was saving though as he went...so how is this possible?

MacAppleTech :

although I am hoping that is not the case here, and maybe the file has displaced

MacAppleTech :

Macs are simple Shari,

MacAppleTech :

either they are going to save Word docs to the main desktop

MacAppleTech :

or they will either be in a custom folder you have made

MacAppleTech :

or you can also open a new Finder window

MacAppleTech :

and from the sidebar

MacAppleTech :

of Finder, check the Documents folder there for that modified Word document

Customer:

Can't find it so far. The word doc may have been saved in a 'different version of word/microsoft office. does that matter or could it have been lost because of that?

MacAppleTech :

Actually, that would make no difference, either

MacAppleTech :

sorry for the delay Shari, I was thinking about that

MacAppleTech :

I have MS Office 2004, 2008 and 2011 and documents created with Word for each

MacAppleTech :

and they can be used between the versions

MacAppleTech :

most of them rather

MacAppleTech :

if they are of the same name, as long as they are compatible, they will work

MacAppleTech :

What makes the difference is if an original document, now modified, has had its name changed

Customer:

ok I thought not. I think that what may have happened is that by accident he 'replaced' with the old version when asked. If he'd changed the name then there would have been no problem

MacAppleTech :

and in this situation, you have explained to me that you and your husband's document has not changed in name

MacAppleTech :

I will admit to you Shari, I just had the same thing happen to me last month with my Word 2011 document

MacAppleTech :

and this was the case even though I had the auto-save function activated in Word

Customer:

It's a very hard lesson and a lot of work lost.

MacAppleTech :

I did too :(

Customer:

Ok, so there's nothing to be done from here?

MacAppleTech :

that is why it hurts to share the facts about this issue- Word has no recovery feature for lost documents

Customer:

I did see something online that you could buy but I think it was only for deleted items rather than 'lost'. Do you know about that?

MacAppleTech :

I have use MS office on both my Mac and PCs and have had this occur at one point or another, although no too often forunately with the newer versions of Office for Mac 2011 and 2010 MS Office (PC)

MacAppleTech :

It will work as long as the file that was deleted was actually saved by the Word application

MacAppleTech :

For example there is an application called File Salvage for Mac 7.1

MacAppleTech :

that is great at recovering files and documents

MacAppleTech :

but if the saved document was not actively saved in the application with its modifications as in your case

MacAppleTech :

there is a strong possibility even recovery software like that won't work

Customer:

So not really worth trying the app in this case?

MacAppleTech :

Well, I don't want to say that

Customer:

Ok. fair enough. Hard to give up though!!

MacAppleTech :

because you see Shari, if you know you that you saved the modified file

MacAppleTech :

Then I would, if I were you, take a shot and try it out with a recovery software

MacAppleTech :

it all depends on how important that data is that you are trying to retrieve

Customer:

Ok maybe we'll give it a go then because it's pretty important and close to deadline.

MacAppleTech :

and it NEVER hurts to have a recovery software at arms length

MacAppleTech :

so you can use it anytime

Customer:

So should we try that one you mention? do you have a particular site that you use?

MacAppleTech :

Let me get some resources for you

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX!

MacAppleTech :

now is this recovery/undelete software you need for your Mac, correct Shari?

Customer:

Yes

MacAppleTech :

Ok spare me a few minutes and I will get some good links to some good software recovery apps

Customer:

That's great help, thank you so much

MacAppleTech :

Anytime!

MacAppleTech :

1.) File Salvage 7.5 (New)

MacAppleTech :

2.) Mac Disk Drill Recovery Software

Customer:

Ok, thank you we'll try one of those. Unless you can suggest anything else, we're both v grateful for your input.

MacAppleTech :

these are the main three apps I can recommend highly for you and your husband Shari

MacAppleTech :

No worries

MacAppleTech :

and please feel free to bookmark this session page in your web browser

MacAppleTech :

so if you need to ask me more questions relative to this subject, I can be contacted

MacAppleTech :

once again. If you do come back to this session and simply type a response,

MacAppleTech :

I will be notified, even if I am offline

MacAppleTech :

L)

MacAppleTech :

:)

Customer:

Oh, ok. As you can guess we're pretty un- teccy so that's great if we do need more help. Thanks

MacAppleTech :

Bingo

MacAppleTech :

that is why I can still be a resource post issue- for you

MacAppleTech :

as long as this session as open especially

MacAppleTech :

"is open"- sorry

Customer:

So should I not finish this session yet or just return if needed?

MacAppleTech :

Here are some post answer instructions I usually leave:

MacAppleTech :

If you are satisfied that I have resolved your question to your satisfaction, please feel free to rate my service. We always like to know how our customers feel about our services, in an effort to continue improving our already high standards of good answers and customer service.

MacAppleTech :

Finally, I thank you very much for allowing me to assist you.

MacAppleTech :

Keep in mind also, when you Accept an answer, it does not mean the session is over, especially if the issue you received support from me, re-occurs once again.

MacAppleTech :

Otherwise, if all is well , then there is no need to return. Should you desire to err on the side of caution, however, you are always welcome to bookmark this session so you can come back to this session and alert me.

MacAppleTech :

Its a canned message, but it effectively lets you know my main focus is you as a valued customer Shari

MacAppleTech :

hope that helps!

Customer:

ok got it. Will bookmark in case. Fingers crossed. We're downloading Fire Salvage now! Thanks for your assistance...saved a marital dispute I reckon!

MacAppleTech, MS Office Specialist
Experience: 16+ Years experience with MS Office Suites..