jnlichen, IT Manager
Experience:  15+ years supporting users, computers, & software.

Using Excel [Win 7 ] happily for some years, I am now unable

Using Excel [Win 7 ] happily for some years, I am now unable to see ON SCREEN anything other than black on white. That is, personalisation of [a] colours for fonts highlighting of text/columns and also [c] designating specific tab colours are not visible on screen. When a spreadsheet is viewed in Print Preview all the colours/highlighting show; the document also prints out perfectly, in accurate colours and formatting, so this is clearly not a problem with the printer. I have run MS Office Diagnostics and results = zero errors. How can I revert to what I ususally see on screen i.e., changes in font colours, highlighting, changing of tab colours, please? I am also having trouble with IE in that I cannot see 'search' boxes except by landing on them by mouse, cannot see all images on websites. FYI, MS Word is totally fine, no probs there.

jnlichen :

Hello, which version of Excel are you using?

jnlichen :
jnlichen :
  • Open Control Panel in Category view.

• In Control Panel, under Appearance and Personalization, click Change the theme.

• From the Personalization window right-hand pane, under Aero Themes, click on any one of the standard themes in turn, pausing to notice the effect at the background.

• Make sure you don't have selected a High Contrast Themes.
  • jnlichen :

Please let me know if this solves your issue. There are a few other options that will cause this.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    Apologies - client appeared hence terminating chat. Have followed your direction and changing 'My Theme' (which I have had as my desktop theme for a year now) to another, has completly resolved the problem both with appearance x Excel on screen (can see all colour formatting, tab colours etc] and the IE issue where I also could not see search boxes etc. Am very pleased after a week of pfaffing about trying to find out what was wrong! FYI, the personal theme I had shows 'High Contrast' underneath it. As I love that theme, how do I get rid of that as I would like to reinstate it, if poss. Have tried 'Accessibility' options but all boxes there which relate to High Contrast are unticked. T'would be neat if you have any ideas. Hope you are emjoying the Olympics? Best, Trish