John D
John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
53785

When I try to number five Excel 1-page worksheets in sequence,

When I try to number five Excel 1-page worksheets in sequence, (1 of 5, 2 of 5, etc.,) the grouped sequence shows up correctly in print preview, but not in the regular view. Instead, on my screen, the 5th page reads 5 of 1. Is this correct?

When you say "regular view" I suppose you mean "Page Layout view"

If not, please elaborate

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When I open the saved document in the Home tab or Page Layout view, the footers for each sheet read, "1 of 1, 2 of 1, 3 of 1," etc.

Do you want me to attach my draft?

Yes please attach the file using the paperclip icon

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Attachment: 2012-08-05_195607_travel_right_attempt_3.xlsx

O.K. Hope you've got it.

Ok here you go

Attachment: 2012-08-05_201105_2012-08-05_195607_travel_right_attempt_3a.xlsx

The custom footer selection was incorrect on some sheets. Had to clear the footer in all sheets then reselect the "Page 1 of ?" for each

Thank you for rating this answer "Excellent" or "Good" If I was able to answer your question

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Now I'm having trouble seeing the sheet tabs at all. Did I accidentally click on the wrong button? I tried clearing the footer and reselecting the insert page # XXXXX insert number of pages buttons in the page setup dialog box, on the Header/Footer tab, but I keep getting the "2 of 1" footer.

I think you must have opened the file from the Download dialog box before saving it.

Try downloading again. First close all excel files, download and SAVE the file, then open it

graphic

This is a screenshot of print preview of sheet 3

At this point please don't forget to rate as this question is getting side tracked with other issues. You can add bonus later

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

John- The print preview has worked correctly all along. It's the view when I open the document--including the one you just sent me that I downloaded and saved--that reads "Page 4 of 1" for example.

No, some of the page numbers on Print Preview were incorrect until I fixed that.

On my end I don't see any issues with the numbers in the other View windows. Could you send me a screenshot so I can see exactly where the problem is appearing

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How do I send a screenshot?

Ok, press the PrintScreen key on the keyboard, then open Word, apply paste, save the word document then attach here

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Attachment: 2012-08-05_212846_screenshot.docx

O.K. Here it is. Thanks for your patience with me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Any luck? Did you receive the screenshot?

Yes I am still working on it. Got two sheets fixed. Quite a big job

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay. Thanks. I'm standing by and looking forward to your response.

Here are the two fixed sheets first for you to check

Attachment: 2012-08-05_221503_book1a.xlsx

If they are ok, you can go ahead and rate this answer so I get partially paid, and then approve the price adjustment report that you should receive in your email (which can later as bonus). I will then continue to fix the rest of the sheet.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Both sheets read "1 of 1" on my screen. See attached.

Attachment: 2012-08-05_222856_screenshot_of_second_sheet.docx

Of course they whould in the View mode. That means the issue has been corrected. Your problem was that you used to see "3 of 1" instead of "1 of 1".

Only when you group the sheets and use Print Preview you would see the sheets linked together in sequential page numbers

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

O.K. So we're back to where we started from. I'll pay you for your time, but you didn't really answer or fix my original question or problem.

Thanks

I thought I fixed the problem for the two sheets and I don't see any other problems with these two sheets.

Your original problem was seeing the numbers in reverse order, and I quote "the 5th page reads 5 of 1"., which you do not see that in the new file, so how come you still think that the original problem was not resolved

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Even though the 5th page read "5 of 1" or presumably now reads "1 of 1"on the screen shots, it print previews and prints out--then and now--in the correct number sequence: 1 of 5, 2 of 5. The printout has been correct all along; it's the screen view that reads incorrectly. Thus, I asked my original question, hoping to fix the screen view. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I do appreciate your time and effort and will pay accordingly.

Believe me the new file has been fixed and it works the way Excel was designed to. You can verify this from any source you like and get back to me if you're still in doubt

Now would you like me to continue fixing the other sheets or not (hoping you can change that "OK Service" rating that you have unfairly left me

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you tell me how to fix the remaining sheets?

Actually it is a quite lengthy process involving reconstructing the sheets in a special way and which is not easy to explain

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think I'll just have to accept the document as is. I wanted to learn how to make the corrections myself, so I'll just do the best I can. Thank you again for your time and effort here. I'll increase your rating to good if I can. It's been a long afternoon for both of us. Best wishes in the future.

Thanks. The only way to increase the rating is by rating again with a higher rating (the system will take the better of the two ratings), in which case I will work on it more and send you the rest of the sheets

Thanks

Here is the file with all 5 sheets fixed

Attachment: 2012-08-06_002632_book1b.xlsx

The problem in a nutshell is that the built-in Custom Footer list in that file is corrupted, so the sheets need to be copied to a new workbook but without copying the custom footer and header lists

The general procedure for fixing each sheet it to create a new file with 5 empty sheets, then FOR EACH SHEET, select the data and objects from one sheet, copy it and paste it into its corresponding sheet in the new file, then adjust the cell formatting, column widths etc so the two are completely identical, then copy all the Page Layout settings (EXCEPT the customs Footer and custom Header) from the old sheet to the new sheet, then finally apply the desired page number to the new sheet. Do the same for each sheet

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the explanation, John. The assignment was already submitted with the corrupted custom footer, so we'll see what the instructor says. We did our best.

You're welcome. Let me know if the instructor gets back to you with any questions regarding this issue