Lindie-mod
Lindie-mod,

Ask a Microsoft Word QuestionTo Whom it may concern, I

Customer Question

Ask a Microsoft Word QuestionTo Whom it may concern,

I have been given the task of editing an army technical manual and am having the following problem:

The manual is organized using Chapters and Section styles. These are used to generate the table of contents. Captions are currently used to generate the table of Figures for images.

This would be straight forward if the manual were to use sequential numbering through the whole document. But it does not. In addition to Chapters and Sections, there are "Work Packages." A work package could begin with a chapter, or it could begin with a section. But none of the numbers coincide. So you could have Chapter 2. Section 3 but be in the middle of Work Package 6.

The client wants the page numbers to be based on Work packages. So the TOC still displays Chapters and sections. Occasionally a Chapter or Section is labled as a Work package.

The document is currently divided into Sections (using section breaks). So the page numbers re-start with every work package. The problem is that the auto generated TOC then reads 1,1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,3,3,3, and back to 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,3. Same problem with the Index.

What I have to accomplish is to get the page numbers to be the old school "chapter - page" style. EXCEPT THAT ITS NOT BASED ON "Chapters" but instead, "Work Packages." So Chapter 1, Section 3 could be page 05-4 (Meaning "Work Package 05 - Page 1."

Let me know if this makes sense.

I have to turn this in tonight.

Sincerely, XXXXX
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  rhess replied 1 year ago.

rhess :

Nelson, can you upload the document to http://www.wikisend.com and paste the download link here? I'd like to take a look at this to see if I can fix it for you.

Customer :

http://wikisend.com/download/888500/TM_11_6665_TBD_13 Operator and Field Maintenance Manual DRAFT 8.3.12-mjk.docx

rhess :

Ok, let me get a look at this and see what I can do

Customer :

I am currently trying to use a field codes as the page numbers. If I can get the page number to display the section number and the page number (003-01) and the TOC to import that number for each page, then I'll be set. The section numbers (created with section breaks - not the Chapter/Section variety) correspond to the "work packages." If I can do that, then I could get the TOC and the INDEX to pull those numbers.

rhess :

Ok....i'll keep you posted, I'm working on this right now

Customer :

THANK YOU.

rhess :

The only thing I'm not clear on is how the work packages are broken down

rhess :

What does WP1 encompass? WP2? etc......

Customer :

One more thing... you'll notice that in the file I sent you that prefixes for the page numbers AND in the TOC were manually entered. These will not update automatically.

Customer :

And that's what I need to fix...

rhess :

Understood

Customer :

A WP begins where ever there is the word Work package in the title of a Chapter or Section. Each WP has a different section (section break) so that I was able to manually enter the WP005 before each page number and so that the page numbers reset after each section (section break).

Customer :

It's ridiculous complicated. The Army does it some how...

rhess :

Haha, I'm prior Air Force so I get it

rhess :

Ok, let me see what I can do about this

rhess :

Are the pages numbered manually?

Customer :

The prefix for the work packages are manually entered (into the footer) into each section (section break) and then the page numbers are generated automatically within each section. each footer is linked to previous within a given section, so the prefix is the same throughout the section "WP003-" and the page numbers auto-generate from 1 at the start of each section. Make sense?

rhess :

Yes, makes total sense. I'm not totally sure if I can do this, but I have an idea I want to try

rhess :

If I cannot get this done, then I will opt out, but I wanna work for 15 minutes first

Customer :

If you "update field" on the TOC then you'll see that only page numbers of each section will appear and all my manually entered WP00's will disappear. This makes the TOC impossible to follow. Same for generating an index, which they want. Take your time... my son's trying to get me to play with him at the moment anyway.

Customer :

There is a page numbering function called "include chapter number" which could work, IF work packages could be assigned THAT number. I couldn't figure that out.

rhess :

Yes, that is one of the things I am looking at.....but it will still be an auto-number so it will never include WP1, WP2 or anything like that. I am trying to modify the field properties of the page numbers themselves to reflect the work pages.....it's promising, but I've never done it so I'm on the learning curve here. I think I can do it though

rhess :

In other words, if I can get the actual page number field itself to include a prefix, then we're set

Customer :

That is what I have been trying with {={SECTION}{PAGE}} I don't know how to join the two numbers... or even separate them with a hyphen or period. Word wants to make this a formula but I don't know how else to display it.

rhess :

I think I got it

Customer :

WOW.

rhess :

Ok.....here's where I am at

rhess :

It's an auto TOC that has the WP prefix....and you can update it and it WILL update the page numbers appropriate

rhess :

ly

rhess :

but if you add a new section and update the entire table, we still lose the prefix

rhess :

I don't know if this is satisfactory or not....not sure how much this document is going to be editted

rhess :

but all of the links work (you can click on them in the TOC to get to your page)

Customer :

And the page numbers display according to Work Packages?

rhess :

Yes, but again, not automatically

rhess :

i will send you what i have

Customer :

Unfortunately, I have to get the page numbering to work. I still have editing to do and I have to generate an index that shows not just page numbers, but what section (section break) they pertain to.

Customer :

OK.

rhess :

Ok. I am going to give you what I have and opt out so somebody else can review this. I've tried a few things but I can't seem to get this one.

rhess :

http://wikisend.com/download/237640/TM_11_6665_TBD_13 Operator and Field Maintenance Manual DRAFT 8.3.12-mjk.docx

rhess :

I'm sorry I couldn't help more.....I'm SURE that the key to this is getting custom page numbers to work somehow, but I just can't figure it out

Customer :

I really appreciate it.

rhess :

I know the document I sent back isn't the complete solution, so I am going to opt out and let another expert take a look....I am also going to continue trying to figure this out, but I don't want to waste any more of your time in case I can't get it.

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This seems to be an impossible task but if someone else wants it, then yes, I would love the help.
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!