Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Since Office 2000, Ive been using, repairing and teaching the basics of MS Office to anyone with a need to learn.

How to access MS files (Word, Excel) when using OS 10.8?

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to help.

When you installed 10.8, did you do an in place upgrade.. Or did you do a clean install?

Also, what program were you previously using to access your microsoft office files?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did an in-place install. Previously using MS Office 2004 (for Mac) applications (Word, Excel).
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Aha.. Back in 04, you probably had the power pc version of Office.. Hence why your office 2004 program wont work now since you upgraded.

So what we need is a program that is more modern, and can work on the new OS you installed.

You have a lot of options, You could upgrade to office 2008, or 2011..

Or, If you had iwork 09 installed before.. Then all you need to do is download and install the updates.. As the iwork apps for mac, can read microsoft office files.

So if you had iwork 09 installed, then simply run your apple update software, and have it update your iwork suite.

before I go further into detail about iwork, let me know if you had it installed before.. Or, if you never had it at all. Thanks!

You can get back to me on this same question, the same way you have been doing.. Just send me a reply.

Or..

Log into JustAnswer.com, then on the Top right, click on my questions

Then, click the "reply to expert" next to my face..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have i-Works installed but still cannot open any MS file. From prior experience, I know that i-Works files cannot always be read by other MS users so am reluctant to use i-Works for business purposes. Cannot understand why Apple allowed OS10.8 to be distributed before clearing up this issue - I cannot be the only person confounded by by this inability to access MS files issue.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Your not the only person.

I works can work on 10.8.. But you have to update iworks after you install 10.8

Assuming you have iworks 09, you should be able to uninstall it, and then re download it from the app store. ( if you purchased iworks at the app store originally) Or, reinstall it from your cd.

And then, allow your computer to update iworks.

Choose System Preferences from the Apple Menu.
Choose Software Update from the View menu.
Click Update Now.
Select the items you want to install, then click Install.
Enter an Admin user name and password.
After the update is complete, restart the mac

Also, anytime you install a major update to your mac, its important to repair permissions. Since 10.8 is a major update this is a much needed step ( below)

To open Disk Utility, from the Applications folder, open Utilities, and then double-click the Disk Utility icon.

In the column on the left, click your startup disk.

Click the First Aid tab, and then click Repair Disk Permissions. Disk Utility will reset any files and folders with incorrect settings.

That being said. Relying on iworks alone isnt such a great idea.

I strongly suggest that you update your microsoft office program, to either 2008, or preferably 2011

I strongly recommend the home and business version, compared to the home and student. You can get it here.

click to view

Thats a savings of 100$ of the direct from microsoft price for the business version. ( compare below)

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/buy

Also , microsoft does offer a free trial of office 2011, it only lasts 30 days, but thats enough to get you at least reading those files to you decide whether you want to purchase 2011 or not.

you can get the free trial here.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/buy

If you have any further questions, let me know!

Or..

Please remember to rate the effectiveness of the answer given before you go, as thats the only way it shows whether or not I was able to help you. Remember that in some cases you cant always repair or solve the issue, and in those cases getting a correct answer to your question is the best solution possible. If you feel like leaving a one or two star rating please contact me first so I can try and resolve the issue in a more effective manner.

Thanks, D.Sandlin
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Since Office 2000, Ive been using, repairing and teaching the basics of MS Office to anyone with a need to learn.