LeGin
LeGin, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  BSc (Computer Science)

ra-aza

Customer Question

In Excel 2010, how do you copy formulas from one spreadsheet to another without it creating a link in the pasted into spreadsheet?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.

Try selecting the cell that has the formula, then click inside the Formula Bar and highlight the entire formula and copy it.

Then open the other workbook, select the cell that you want to paste the formula in, then click inside the Formula Bar and paste it there

Hope this helps. If I was able to answer your Question please go ahead and RATE this answer "Excellent" or "Good" so I get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm talking about 600 formulas, doing that isn't feasible. I need something that will do all the formulas at once. It was easy in Excel 2003, I don't understand why the copy and paste creates a link
in 2010. If I wanted the link I would just do cut and paste.
Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.

Your question was not about 600 formulas. It was about copying the formula without a link

Now to automate the process so it can copy as many cells as you like you will need a macro created for that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, something that was very simple in Excel 2003 now requires a macro. That's not going to work either because there are dozens of spreadsheets I have to do this with. I'm thinking of reloading Excel 2003 and dumping 2010 if the only answer is a macro.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there some setting in Excel that I can tell excel to not create a link when copying?
Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.

No I think there is some misunderstanding here. If you were able to do that copy procedure in Excel 2003 you should be able to do the same in Excel 2010.

Could outline the steps that you did it in Excel 2003 so I can understand exactly what the issue is

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, in excel 2003, I would highlight a series of cells with formulas in them, say tab X cells C1:C1000, then copy. I'd then go to another spreadsheet and click tax X cell C1 and then Paste. All the formulas would then calculate based on the second, pasted into, spreadsheet.

If I wanted to link them, I'd have done the exact same thing expect used Cut instead of Copy.

With 2010, when I do the exact same thing that I did in 2003, it's acting as a 2003 Cut and Paste and creating a link, the only difference being it now leaves the formulas in the original spreadsheet and creates the link. I don't want that, I want the formulas to work with the spreadsheet it was pasted into, not the information that it was pasted from.

I've been wrestling with this since 8am this morning and I'm pulling my hair, I'm really sorry I got the Excel 2010 at this point! but that's not your fault.
Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.

No you must have different types of formulas in the two cases or the two workbooks are not opened from the same instance of Excel. If you can send me the file in which the copy procedure works in Excel 2003 I will show that it will work in Excel 2010 for the same formulas

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, I can't send you the files, the information on them is unclassified but sensitive information by the US Government and I can't share them. However, you may have given me a clue, there is some mixing of Excel 2003 and 2010 files. If I save them all as one or the other that may solve the problem and I'll be able to do the copying? Let me try that and I'll get back to you in a few minutes.
Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.

And make sure you open both the source file and the destination files from the same instance of Excel (from within Excel using File > Open command and not by double clicking the file icons in your folder)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just came back to this computer and my attempt didn't work; however, I'll try what you just suggested.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that didn't work either. I"m stumped, it seems like Microsoft took out that functionality. I don't know where to go from here other than to reload Excel 2003 and dump 2010 because there is just too many things I have to do like this to put up with this loss in functionality. You'd mentioned a macro, are you suggesting putting one in the pasted into spreadsheet that will remove the links or what?
Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.

Again IT IS NOT AN EXCEL 2010 ISSUE. PERIOD

You are not willing to send me the file so I am not sure how else I can prove it to you

Have a great day

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I send you two blank spreadsheets with simple formulas in them would that work as an example? If so, what's your e-mail address or how would I share them with you?
Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.

I will continue to assist if I can make sure I get credit for my time, and if the issue gets resolved you can add bonus later. Otherwise I will opt out to allow others to assist

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, tell me this, can you take a formula from one spreadsheet to another in Excel 2010 and not have a link in the receiving spreadsheet? If so, how do you do that without a manual manipulation of each individual formula. If that can't be done then I agree about the opting out, if you can do that tell me how and you'll be given credit. Let me know. Thanks.
Expert:  LeGin replied 1 year ago.
Highlight all the formula cell
Press Ctrl + C to copy
goto the sheet where you want to paste and
Right click > paste Special > formula.

Let me know if that helped.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I tried that this morning but will give it another shot. I'll get right back to you.
Expert:  LeGin replied 1 year ago.
Sure.