John D
John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant

I have an Excel spreadsheet w/ embedded pictures. When I email

I have an Excel spreadsheet w/ embedded pictures. When I email the spreadsheet as an attachment, the recipient does not get the pictures. She is running Office 2007. I have tried every Excel format, but she still does not get pictures. I’m running Office 2010 and when I email it to myself the pictures don’t come through until I click on Enable Editing. She says she does not have this option. Any solutions?

This could happen if the pictures are not actually embedded in the workbook but have been inserted as links. Please send me the file so I can check it and give you the right solution.

To send the file go to and upload the file using the Browse button (no need to signup) then copy the "File ID" number (or the download link) that you will be given and paste it here in your reply.

If the file has sensitive information let me know before you upload it

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
File has been uploaded

Where is the Download Link or File ID (please refer to the instructions in bold)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Attachment: 2012-08-03_161602_2012_0801_product_sheet_heb_copy.xlsx

Not sure what you men by "File ID"

File ID is what you will get when you go to , but its ok I got the file

Ok I checked the file and as expected some pictures have not been loaded to excel as embedded images but have been inserted as "links"

You need to remove the problem pictures and insert them back as real images and save the file. Then when you send the saved file the recipients will be able to see all the pictures in the file

If you need help in inserting pictures as embedded objects please feel free to get back to me citing your Excel version, otherwise than you for rating the answer so I can get credit for helping

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
WE use a macro to - what I thought was - embed the images. How did you determine the images were linked. I use Illustrator a lot and can easily tell the difference, but I don't know the how to determine this in Ex cel?

Ok I will show you can tell by creating a similar file and sending it back. In the meantime please go ahead and rate the answer. Thank you

Ok first can you close all excel files then re-open the Excel file in question and go to sheet 'Necklaces' and tell me what do you see in cell A3

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
a3 does not have a value - but their is a picture over A3 - I cannot determine if it is embedded or linked

What I wanted to know is if you are seeing a real picture over cell A3 or some other generic shape

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
YES - there is a picture - I think the issue is in the past the macro was run in Excel 2003 and the person who ran the macro this time runs 2007. Could this be it? I'm testing by logging into a PC w/ 2003 and emailing to sheet to my wife's email account.

Nothing to do with the macro. That specific image over A3 is NOT embedded. It is just a link to an image stored in your computer which only you can see. When you send the file to 3rd parties they will see a broken shape icon because they do not have access to the source image that is in your computer

To verify this close all Excel files then go to the image itself when it is stored in your computer and temporarily delete it. Then open that excel file and go to that sheet and see if you can still see that picture

(make sure you then go back to the image folder immediately after testing and do UNDELETE to restore the image so you do not permanently lose it)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks -
I deleted the image file and the picture remained in the doc. to verify, I ran the macro again and it did not pull a pic. Now what?

I don't know what the macro does as I do not have it in that file, but as said most of your images are linked and need to be loaded as images into your file so that can be transported with the file

Here is what I and all other recipients see when they open your file on their systems

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

To correct the problem you must delete each bad link, and use the Insert tab on the Ribbon then click Picture and navigate the picture and load it that way

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can I send you the macro? There are 1000's of pic's that we populate this way - generally we send out as a PDF - but the customer wants it in Excel.

Ok I will try to review your macro and see if I can spot any issues but I will not be able to test it as it most likely deals with files on another computer with a different folder structure than that of my system, and also modifying a macro is really a different issue. But go ahead and send it and I will check it for you