Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I have a WordPerfect Office X5, that is about 2 mo old. I

Customer Question

I have a WordPerfect Office X5, that is about 2 mo old. I am having a problem with the WP stops working in the middle of a document. I didn't save the document as it would if the problem was interrupted. The message is the Windows 7 has found a problem and closes WP. What could be wrong?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

What is the status of the X5 application now? Is it uninstalled or is still re-installed already and not opening normally?

First, please do the following procedures in the order they are presented.

A. Uninstall WordPerfect

I understand that you already did this, maybe several times. But please do this if WP X5 is still installed so that we can do a cleanup.

After WP X5 is removed, please restart the computer. After restarting, please do the following cleanup procedures.

B. Cleanup with CCleaner

NOTE: If you are using a program named Roboform, please do not proceed with CCleaner cleanup. Roboform Data will be removed by CCleaner.

Please download the FREE version of CCleaner from this link:

Download FREE CCleaner Here or this link http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

After you download the free tool, install it and run the scans and tests. By default, it runs CLEANER to cleanup from all system mess which includes all unwanted files, temporary files, temporary internet files, orphaned files and more. Make sure that all this mess that the Cleaner program has detected is removed. This will free up some space in your hard drive while speeding up your system as well.

Next, run REGISTRY Cleaner and fix the found problems. Run this REGISTRY cleaner several times and fix the issues until no issues will be found.

In order to run the Registry cleanup mode, open CCleaner, then look at the left panel of the CCleaner window. Locate and click the Registry link there and that should give you the Registry cleanup mode. Then click on the Scan for issues button. When the scan reached 100%, click FIX issues to remove the errors from your system. Then click the Scan for issues again then FIX whenever issues are still found. When no issues are found, close CCleaner.

After the cleanup above, please restart the computer. After restarting, please proceed to the next step below.

C. Re-install WP X5.

Use the disc again and reinstall your WordPerfect X5 software. If you come across an error message during the installation, please let me know exactly the error message and possible error code.

Just follow the on-screen wizard for the installation. After the re-install, please restart the computer.

D. Run WP XP

After the restart, please try to open WordPerfect X5 this time and see if it loads and opens normally.

If the problem continues, please proceed to the next steps below and disable the startup programs and services that could have blocked WP components.

E. Disable Startup programs and Services.

To disable some programs at startup, please do the following:
  1. Click on Start => RUN
  2. You can also get the RUN box by going to Start => All Programs => Accessories => RUN or by simply pressing the Windows Logo key and pressing the letter R (Win Logo + R)
  3. In the RUN box, type this command and click OK: msconfig
  4. You shall see then the System Configuration dialog window
  5. Click on the SERVICES tab
  6. Click to select the option "Hide Microsoft services"
  7. Then click DISABLE ALL button
  8. Then click the STARTUP tab
  9. Then click on DISABLE ALL button
  10. This should disable all listed startup programs at startup so all the checks there should disappear. However, please locate your Antivirus software there and click on it to restore the check mark.
  11. Then click APPLY
  12. Click OK to close the System Configuration window
  13. Restart your computer.
  14. When you are prompted with a pop up window regarding the changes you made with the System Configuration Utility, please cancel it or close it.
  15. Then test if the system is now gaining some speed and test if WordPerfect X5 opens normally this time.

Please be sure to rate my answer with 3 or more stars/smileys if this helped.
Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further. If you have further question, please use the Continue the Conversation tab to reply to me.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did all the steps you told me to. The program is better, but still stops in the middle of editing the document. It only did it once this time instead of every 5 minutes yesterday. I was doing detailed, Footers and Headers, index and Table of Contents etc. When this happens. The program appears to open correctly, but in the middle of editing it STOPS! It doesn't back up the file. But when you close it and reopen the file, it only lose the last edit. Maybe because I was saving every edit. This is only a 54 page file of mostly text (both pictures).

I'm about to start editing a file that is much bigger (200 pgs) and more complicated. So I need to get this fixed soon!! Do you think it is the program??

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sue,

Thank you for writing back with that information.

When you said, "It doesn't back up the file", what did you mean? Normally, when you close the program and did not save it, what will be displayed when you open it back is the last state that you saved it. Therefore, you need to save it every once in a while to ensure your edits are saved and intact.

Regarding the freezing (the program stops while editing), this can be a memory or resources issue. Are you using or opening other resource-hungry programs while you are working with WP X5? Programs like Photoshop, Corel Draw or Illustrator can take up a lot of resources in your system causing WP X5 to lag. Please try to close other programs that would compete with the allocation of the resources and see if WP won't stop while editing.

Please check also if it is indeed a lag or a temporary halt while the system is still processing. You will know this because the hard disk activity LED in your computer will be blinking steadily fast to indicate a high disk activity. If this is the case when you consider WP to "stop", please give it a second or a minute and see if it can recover and start working again.

To improve the performance of your programs like WP X5, please do the following in your Windows 7:

1. Click Start => Right click on "Computer"
  2. Click on Properties
  3. In the dialog box that opens, click on "Advanced System Settings"
  4. Here is my screen shot:

5. In the dialog box that opens, click on the "Settings" button under Performance
  6. Another dialog box will open. There select "Adjust for best performance"
  7. Click Apply (Do not click OK yet)
  8. Here is my screen shot:

9. Then click on the Advanced tab
  10. Make sure that "Programs" is selected
  11. Click Apply
  12. Click OK
  13. Here is my screen shot:

14. Click Apply in the other open dialog box
  15. Click OK to close
  16. Close all windows then restart the computer
  17. Then test if WP X5 works better this time.

Please be sure to rate my answer with 3 or more stars/smileys if this helped. Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further. If you have further question, please use the Continue the Conversation tab to reply to me.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am still having trouble with the interrupions. A window 7 box pops up and says "WPX5 has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem. Close program."

AThis interruption doesn't NOT save the document. Also it didn't come back next time and say that the save has been save and the program was ended incorrectly. There doesn't seem to effect the document, other than lose the data from last I saved. The problem seems to occur when I'm using the formatting edit mode. I don't have any other program or any other documents open at the time. This morning (Mon) it interrupted three times, with no apparent reason (not doing anything thing that I think should cause it) Waiting on the program to "catch up" also does not help.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sue,

Have you tried the MSCONFIG procedures I gave you regarding the disabling of startup programs and services?

Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I have done everything you put in this email. Yesterday the program did not stop once, but today it stopped three times.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Sue,

Please do the following:

Run Check Disk for Drive C

1. Open Computer from the Desktop icon. Or click Start => Computer
2. Locate Drive C
3. Right click on drive C
4. Click Properties
5. Click on the Tools tab
6. Then in Error Checking group, click CHECK NOW
7. Then check the 2 options that pops up
8. Click YES to schedule the scan and repair on the next boot
9. Then restart your computer and see if the CHECK DISK starts

Run Disk Defragment tool

2. Locate Drive C
3. Right click on drive C
4. Click Properties
5. Click on the Tools tab
6. Then in Disk Defragmentation group, click Defragment Now

After the procedures above, please test if WP X5 will not stop responding when used. If the problem still continues, please run the SFC scan to scan your system for system file integrity issues.

Run the System File Checker

1. Click Start => Programs => Accessories => Locate Command Prompt
  2. When located, right click on it then click Run as administrator
  3. Provide your password XXXXX prompted or click OK in a prompt window
  4. In the black command prompt window, type this command and press the ENTER key after: sfc /scannow (2-word, there is space between c and /)
  5. Let the scan complete and restart your computer after the scan.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, I ran the check disk and the defrag didn't need to be done (the computer is only 2 mo old) and it said there were 0% to be defraged. No problems detected.

Then I ran the system file checker. That report said that Windows Resource Protection found a corrupt files and successfully repaired them.

I did an hour's worth of work on the document and hadn't had any problems since the system check. Thank you. I do hope this fixes the problem. Seem to have right now. Can I wait one more day to make sure it does act up before I rate this. I'm satified as of now.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sue,

No problem. Please take your time and rate my answer only when you are satisfied.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've about isolated the times that the interruption happens. It is when I'm uses the formatting mode, especially the headers and footers. I have had a lot of problems with them, because the codes were all put in at the top of the document (another person started this document). In working thru the editing, it is still stopping. Last night, I was encouraged because at least it saved the document in the 'backup" document. But this morning it is stopping and closing without saving.

The document seems to be returning to unsaved text. The document reopens with no problems. Can this document be corrupted.?? It is only this document that I'm having problems with. But it is a critical document.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've even isolated it to 2 or 3 pages of teh document. What can I do??

I'm trying to get this document ready to publish.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sue,

I believe that your document is not corrupted, it is a Windows issue and not WP X5 issue since you have removed and reinstalled WP X5 many times.

At this point, please create a NEW user account. This is to isolate the issue of your current user profile being corrupted. If WP X5 works in the newly created user account, then the problem is your current user profile being corrupted.

Here are the steps:
  1. Click Start => Control Panel
  2. Locate and open User Accounts
  3. Click on Manage other accounts
  4. Then click on CREATE New account. The goal here is to create a new and fresh user account of Administrator type.
  5. Give it a name
  6. Select Administrator and NOT a Standard user
  7. Then click the CREATE account button
  8. After the account has been created, please restart the computer
  9. When the system rebooted, please choose the newly created user account to login to
  10. Give it sometime to initialize
  11. The screen is entirely different but your old stuffs must still be intact when you log back on to the old account
  12. Then try to run WP there and load the project that you are working with
  13. Then see if the problem is gone

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

NO, the problem is still there. But the last five times has been on the same page and smae cooperate. The Footers in the middle of this document can NOT be changed or erased. Everytime I try it stops the program. I made the new user and only put one document over there.

HELP! (I know you are trying!) I lvoe WP because it is so easy to change the different fonts and codes. How can I get there codes out. In the Footer itself it will not let me change the font. It will allow me to change the contents, but it reverse back as soon as I leave the page, usually by stopping the program.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Sue,

Did you create a NEW user account and try to access your WP and working on the file there with the same results?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I created a new user and only copied in one file to the new user.

thanks. It still stops in the same place. I have a footer that I can not change or erase. That is the spot that seems to be the problem. Is there anything I can do to correct this.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Are you saying that the freezing problem only happens when you are working with that footer that you cannot delete?

Can you send me a copy of the file so that I can check it here? Or just a dummy of that file what still has the problem footer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I send it to you? It is 60 pages long. Not to big to email, but in this space?? YEs, I have narrowed the problemdown to three pages in the document that it stops. It is backup and saving the document now.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sue,

Let us test if this is a specific file issue since we have done much of the system-wide troubleshooting.

Please send me the dummy file that still causes the issue in your case. Upload it here:

http://wikisend.com

After uploading you will get a download link or 6-digit file ID. Post the id or the download link when you reply so that I can download your file.

Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Look on page 13, 14, 15 The Footer B is the one that I can't erase.

The headers seems to be OK and Footer A SEEMS to be OK.

Thanks. I'm leaving for today, so I won't be back in touch until late tomorrow.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sue,

Did you upload the dummy file at http://wikisend.com ?
You forgot to post the download link or the 6 digit File ID. Please post the file ID or the download link so that I can download the dummy file that you uploaded.

Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The wikisend never gave me a ID #, I looked until the properties and had it send me the ID, but it hasn't in 2 hrs. I names the file finalbylaws.com, In my computer it is Fanil Corrected Bylaws.wpd. I don't know if that helps or not. I couldnt' find anything on the pages that gave a ID #.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sue, please try to upload it again and after uploading at wikisend.com, you shall see a screen with a download link and a 6-digit File ID.

I need those info (File ID or download link) to get your WPD file.
Here is my wikisend sample screen shot after an upload:

Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yeah! This is the first time it gave me the download code.

104128 - FinalaCORRECTEDBylaws.wpd.

Thanks.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Sue,

I got the file and will check it after downloading it. I will get back to you with the results.

Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've been waiting. Did you find something. Now the company is saying that I didn't rate you well. You have been very good to stay with me and help. I'm missing deadlines by not hearing from you.

I obviously don't understand your system for rating. But maybe we have finished our question?? I would give you a better rating now!

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sue,

I am sorry for the late reply. I believe that there is a problem with the file itself, not with your WP installation. Can you confirm that other files are working successfully in your WP X5 there EXCEPT this file with problem footer?

I have had WP XP here but removing Footer B was indeed a problem. I managed to remove it but I cannot save it since WP crashes everytime I save the modifed file.

So I removed WP X5 and reloaded the older version WP 11 and I was able to remove the Footer B from the page.

Here is the download link:
http://wikisend.com/download/313254/FinalCORRECTED%20%BYLAWS.wpd

As I analyzed the layout, it appears that Footer B was indeed corrupted. The freezing or crashing only stopped when I removed the footer in Page 16.

Best regards,
Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I got the file downloaded, but it still have the corruption in it. But it is OK. I will not try to put Footers in it. I've been working with another program that is bigger, but NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. I love WordPerfect.

Sue

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sue,

I am glad that you got the file. Yes, it may require that the entire footer is removed in that file in the said location.

Thank you for using our service.

Best regards,
Jess