John D
John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
53785

who do I change the date time format 3/1/12 17:32 to 1/3/12

Customer Question

who do I change the date time format

3/1/12 17:32

to

1/3/12 17:32
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

In your system is the above date 1 March, or 3 Jan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

really it exported out of my software /mm/yyyy h:mm

it needs to be mm/dd/yyyy h:mm

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Assuming that exported date is a real date and not 'text' that looks like a date

If that date is in A2, type the following formula in B2

=TEXT(A2,"m/d/yy h:mm")

If the exported value is text then I will need your file so I can set up the correct formula for converting it

Hope this is ok. Let me know if you have any questions

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have an entire speadsheet that has the date formated incorrectly.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

No problem I will help you fix all the dates on that sheet, but I want to know if that formula worked on the single date in A2

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

you still there?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

that worked for the first 12 but didn't for the following:

19/01/2012 22:42:38
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
are you there?
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Ok that means your imported data is not consistent. In that case I need your file so I can create other formulas to cover all possibilities (let me know if you need help attaching files on this site)

In the meantime you can go ahead and rate my answer if it worked on the date format given in your initial question so I can get credit for my time. Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I cant do that. I have several files with the same issue. Thanks anyway.

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

You can send me a sample file so I can show you how to do it. However if you wish to discontinue that's your choice but please make sure you rate my answer positive so I get paid for my work

Thank you