Pete, Computer Expert
Experience:  MS Office expert

when I try & open an existing excel it comes up with...problem

when I try & open an existing excel it comes up with...problem sending command to program
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

ITPeter :

Hello, I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

ITPeter :

There are a number of reasons why this error may occur.

ITPeter :

Try the following:

Open Excel, then go to Options, select Advanced and then scroll down to the "General" section. Make sure that "Ignore other applications that use

Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)" is not checked.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried that & it was already unchecked??
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
What version of Excel and windows are you using?
What is the file extension of the problem files?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
office 2007 & windows 7 dont know what you mean by file extension?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi David,

The file extension is the end part of the file name, e.g. .xls or .xlsx

This problem may be the result of a corrupt registry entry.

To fix this automatically, go to the following website and under More Information, click 'Fix It': http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have tried this but still have the same excel issue the site you directed me to was talking of word not excel
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any other versions of Excel installed on the computer?
Have you recently upgraded Excel or made any other changes around the time the problem started?
What happens if you create a new spreadsheet, save it, close it and open it again?
Are only older spreadsheets affected, or are all spreadsheets affected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dont have any other versions installed
and havent upgraded

its just stopped working

if i open a new excel sheet & save to desktop I cant open that either?

still says "problem sending command to program??
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi David,

Can you try the following 'Fix It' for this problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211494

If it still doesn't work, let me know the file extension of the problem files (e.g. .xls, .xlsx)
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi David,

I'm just following up on this -
did the 'Fix It' work?

Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211494
and that didnt resolve the issue??? some files end in xls & others alsx when i try and open the file and it says it problem sending command to program IF i click out of it and have a grey screen and click on the "office button all the files are listed there & they open from that location???
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Right-click on one of the files and select Open With... and then select Excel 2007.
Let me know if this allows the file to open normally.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in right clicking it only gives option of microsoft excel NOT 2007???
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If you only have one version of Excel installed, then select MS Excel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did but it still wont open
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then I think we have checked all possibilities, and the next step is to restore the system to a previous date, before the problem first started occurring.

To perform system restore, close all programs, then open System Restore by clicking the Start button and typing System Restore in the Search box. Then, in the list of results, click System Restore.  If you're prompted for an administrator password XXXXX confirmation, type the password XXXXX provide confirmation.
Follow the steps in the wizard to choose a restore point and restore your computer.
Pete, Computer Expert
Experience: MS Office expert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have loaded some software for work IF I do a system restore will I lose this software? The issue I have was prior to this software so its not that that is causing issue?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi David,

You may need to reload the software if it was installed after the system restore date that you select. You can always undo the restore if the effects are undesired.

Peter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have looked at system restore & have done this many times in the past BUT....all the restore points check points are NOT there???

This time it shows...SYSTEM IMAGE RESTORE POINT & FROM 3 MONTHS AGO..AAAAAAARRRRRGH

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

This will be the only way forward for you if Excel continues to have the undesired effects, apart from entirely reinstalling Windows.

System Restore only restores critical system files and some program files and registry settings. It does not affect personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos, so you don't need to worry about losing anything important.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know how to do system restore BUT all previous restore pointe etc are NOT showing as have always done before..just system image points but they date back ages.........dont know where system restore points have gone to
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If your hard disk or the partition where the restore points are saved is running out of space, Windows will automatically delete restore points to free up some space.

Does restoring to the 3 month old restore point resolve the Excel problem for you?