Bryan, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Have been using MS Office since Office XP and know VBA coding very well

I have a SQL Server licencing problem. Our system is running

I have a SQL Server licencing problem. Our system is running on a Small Business server which includes a SQL Server licence. However, we initially installed the SQL from a 6 months evaluation copy, which has just expired. We need to activate the inbuilt SQL licence on SBS.

Also - I have just been running a daily backup of the database each evening. Unfortunately, I just missed out tonight, it was after 12PM when the licence had expired. I tried to make a copy of just the database file and log, but the system says it could not copy them as they were in use. Obviously important we do not lose Wednesday's work!

I would really appreciate some help here.

Don McIntosh [email protected]
Phone (03) 9585 0065
Welcome to JustAnswer/Pearl. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to help you with this problem.

Unfortunately, because the evaluation period expired before entering the product key, you will need to do an uninstall and reinstall from SBS. It's a bit more time, but you won't lose any data (as long as you don't select to remove all data during uninstall).

So a little more time is involved this way, but other than that you'll be fine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thankyou for your help Bryan. I have de-installed the evaluation SQL, and I am just waiting on a collegue to supply me with the activation key as I am remote from the site, so I can complete the re-install. Hopefully that should happen within the next hour.

The database and log file are still on the system, so hopefully we will shortly be out of trouble.

Will get back to you as soon as we have a result.

Again, thankyou.

No problem at all Don. Glad I could clear up the question for you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for your interest and helpful advice. Unfortunately, I had not given you all the necessary information up front. It turned out that the eval version we had been running on was SQL Server 2008 R2, and the Small Bus Server came with SQL Server 2008. So, the database we had been building up under the eval licence was never going to be useable under the SQL server supplied with the system. Too many cooks - my colleague supplied the SBS, and I had not realised it was running the older SQL Server version.

So - we are out of trouble now, we have another 6 months eval copy of 2008 R2 until we organise to upgrade (at some additional cost to our customer) to 2008 R2.

Again, thankyou for taking an interest in my problem, and I am happy to pay you something (whatever you think is a fair thing). For problems requiring an immediate response, it may sometimes be difficult to co-ordinate timewise as we are 1/2 day out of sync, but I have your contact details for future problem solutions.

kind regards,

Hi Don,

ah yes, that would make a difference. When you're ready to upgrade, it might be easier to export the database and then re-import in the new version. Just be sure to do it before the eval period runs out.

I'm not sure how we can change the price. I'm not part of the billing end of things. But if you contact customer service they should be able to give you an idea of how to handle it.

In any case, hold on to my contact info and I'll be happy to help with anything you need in the future.

Take care.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

I'm quite happy with the $69 for now, I would not like to short change you. Thanks again for your interest, and I will certainly keep you in mind for any future assistance.

Thank you Don. I appreciate it. Have a great day! So in that case, all you need to do is give me a positive rating and it will be all taken care of.