John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ Yrs field experience with Microsoft software...
60674955

Hi - I cant seem to play movies on my mac. error message

Hi - I can't seem to play movies on my mac.

error message reads - The document “Animal.Kingdom.DVDSCR.2010.READNFO.AC3.Xvid-T0XiC.avi” could not be opened. A required codec isn't available.

i'm sure this is an easy one..
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.

What version of OS X are you using?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
version 10.7.30.

Thank you for your help.

i have a free membership trial.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX do see you have a subscription service of some sort so just rate my answer when satisfied and everything should be handled appropriately by JustAnswer on their end. Smile

You're probably trying to play this file in Quicktime and, unfortunately, it has limited support for many common codecs.

Instead, you may wish to try using MPlayerX. It is a free, Lion compatible, multimedia player available from the Mac App Store (if available in your country) or directly from the following website:

http://mplayerx.org

Alternatively, if you wish to continue using Quicktime you could install Perian. This is a codec that extends the compatibility of Quicktime to include many of the formats supported my MPlayerX. Note, it is discontinued but works fine under Lion:

http://perian.org
(Note: You'll need to scroll down the page to find the download link).

Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Thanks and good luck,

NOTE: The site has recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not other factors outside my control. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply To Expert". Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me as a working individual, so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience on this matter.