JACUSTOMER-83mccr04-
JACUSTOMER-83mccr04- , Microsoft Office Instructor
Experience:  Microsoft Certified and 14 years teaching Microsoft Office to corporate and residential
38581946

I saved over a Word document. Is there a way to recover that document?

I just saved over a document in word, is there a way to recover that document?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-83mccr04- replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.
What version of Word are you using?

JACUSTOMER-15ee1o3p- :
I am using 14.1.0 word for mac

Expert :
Open the document that you want to be restored
Click on the "File" tab at the top
Click "Info," then choose "Versions." Click on each the files listed until you find the desired version.
Click the "Restore" button at the top of the document, located just beneath the standard tool bar.

JACUSTOMER-15ee1o3p- :
I am using a mac, there is no info button

Expert :
One moment please
Are you using Windows 7?

JACUSTOMER-15ee1o3p- :
no im using Word Mac OSX version 10.6.8

Expert :
Do you have Time Machine Backup?

JACUSTOMER-15ee1o3p- :
No

Expert :
Okay follow this
Open the folder where your overwritten or deleted file was located in the Finder. If it was on the desktop , simply close all other windows.

JACUSTOMER-15ee1o3p- :
ok so close all other word documents and open the document from where it was saved on the desktop?

Expert :
in the docking station, you don't have Time Machine
Or it may be in the Applications Folder

JACUSTOMER-15ee1o3p- :
I don't think so
Where do i find it if it isn't highlighted in the right upper corner?
It says it has never been set up

Expert :
So it doesn't do anything when clicked

JACUSTOMER-15ee1o3p- :
It says it is "off" time machine not configured

Expert :
I'm sorry, but without the Time Machine set I don't believe you can revert back to the previous version of the document. If it were, it would be a snap to get it back

JACUSTOMER-15ee1o3p- :
There is no way to find the old word file with autorecover etc?

Expert :
one moment please
It is worth trying I suppose, but Auto Recovery is for files that do not get saved
try looking in this directory on the Mac
/Users/username/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office version AutoRecovery/Autorecovery save of filename

JACUSTOMER-15ee1o3p- :
File is empty

Expert :
I'm sorry to hear that. I am out of recommendations
I did all I could. You may want to start using the Time Machine from this point though

I am sorry we couldn't get the file back. I will Opt Out in case there is another expert who may have other ideas

JACUSTOMER-83mccr04-, Microsoft Office Instructor
Experience: Microsoft Certified and 14 years teaching Microsoft Office to corporate and residential
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 4 years ago.

Sadly, without a Time Machine backup, there is no way to recover the file that was written over. You can try recovery software (which I can provide some links to) but usually, when you save over a document (if it was the same size or smaller, it will actually write over those blocks on the hard drive itself. If the document was larger, you may still have a chance for recovery. Is this something you would be interested in?