Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues

I want to put an automatically updating or live cell in my

Customer Question

I want to put an automatically updating or live cell in my excel spreadsheet that will track the price of gold. How can I do this?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

RichieMe :

Hi there and welcome

you can do the following

• Open a blank Microsoft Excel spreadsheet.

• 2

Click on a cell where you want to show a stock price.

• Click on "Data" in the top menu bar.

• 4

Scroll down to "Import External Data," then over to "New Web Query."

• 5

In the window that pops up, type the URL in the address.

• 6

Enter the symbol you wish to track. Be sure to double check that you entered the correct stock symbol by checking the company name that shows.

• 7

Scroll down to "Last trade:" and click on the arrow to the left. The arrow will change to a check mark. The data highlighted will be shown on your spreadsheet.

• 8

Choose the data you wish to be in your spreadsheet, then click on the "Import" button at the bottom of the window. You may choose to add any data with an arrow next to it into your spreadsheet by clicking on the arrow to the left of the data.

• 9

Verify the cell where you want the data to appear when prompted. You can click on any cell in the spreadsheet if you wish to change the location. Click on "OK" after choosing the cell.

• 10

Save the spreadsheet. You can update the stock price(s) any time by clicking on "Data" in the top menu bar. Then scroll down to "Refresh Data" and click on it.

• 11

Know that you can also update the stock prices in the "External Data" toolbar. Just click on the red exclamation point in that toolbar.

RichieMe :

Let me know if you have any difficulties please