Pete, Computer Expert
Experience:  MS Office expert

Im using Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac. I am working on

I'm using Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac.

I am working on a Document, it has numbering (paragraph A, B, C, etc). However, one of the paragraphs is missing a letter, so I need to label it as Paragraph C, for example. However, when I try to change another paragraph, it highlights all the letters in the section and I can't edit just one. In addition, if I am able to delete a letter and manually adjust it, it messes up all the formatting.

What do I do?

Thanks
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

ITPeter :

Customer:

HI

ITPeter :

To add in the missing letter, go to the start of the paragraph and first press Delete, so that the current paragraph joins with the last paragraph.

ITPeter :

Then press Return. This will create the new paragraph and add the missing letter in sequence.

Customer:

The paragraph is tabbed over once.

Customer:

I pressed delete and then enter and nothing happened.

Customer:

if I press delete and take the paragraph to the last sentence of the one above and then press enter, it adds the sub number in sequence but the formatting gets all messed up.

ITPeter :

Are you using subparagraph numbering?

Customer:

Yes, there is A1, A2, etc.

Customer:

I need to add in a C, though.

ITPeter :

Ok, in that case you will need to decrease the paragraph indenting.

ITPeter :

To do this, click the Decrease Indent button on the Formatting toolbar.

Customer:

should I highlight the sequence?

ITPeter :

No, just place the cursor at the start of the paragraph.

Customer:

ITPeter, please label step by step exactly what I should do and at what point I should decrease indent button..

ITPeter :

1. Place the cursor at the start of the paragraph.
2. Click the Decrease Indent button on the Formatting toolbar.

Customer:

After I get the new sub-number?

Customer:

or before?

ITPeter :

After you have got the new sub-number, as you then want to decrease it.

Customer:

I did it after I get the subnumber, from your instructions above, and it just clears the sub number... and changes the formatting of the paragraph..

Customer:

ITPeter, are you there?

ITPeter :

Yes, I am testing this on my own version of Word now and it works ok.

ITPeter :

Which button are you clicking to reduce the paragraph indent?

Customer:

i'm manually going to the decrease indent.

Customer:

i've never seen a doc get so messed up.

ITPeter :

You can undo any undesired changes as we troubleshoot this problem.

Customer:

I can send you the file

Customer:

to try on your own...

Customer:

but I can't attach it here?

ITPeter :

Ok, you can upload it to www.wikisend.com and then send me the file ID here so I can download it.

ITPeter :

There is no need to register with wikisend to upload the file.

Customer:

http://wikisend.com/download/463408/TEST.docx

Customer:

File ID: 463408

ITPeter :

Ok.. that was quick!

Customer:

haha, I am kind of short on time and hoping we can resolve this asap.

ITPeter :

I am retrieving the file now...

Customer:

ok.

ITPeter :

My version of Office is just performing a few updates before I can open it.. it should only take a few minutes.

Customer:

ok.

ITPeter :

Up and running now.

ITPeter :

So which paragraph do you need to change?

ITPeter :

"From time to time" paragraph should be paragraph C?

Customer:

exactly

Customer:

do you see the issue I'm hacing?

ITPeter :

Yes, I do

ITPeter :

There is something strange with the formatting in the document.

ITPeter :

It is not working like my other documents.

ITPeter :

I have copied and pasted the information to another document and it works fine then.

ITPeter :

I think you will need to do the same thing to remove the problem.

Customer:

so just copy and paste to a whole new doc? the whole thing?

ITPeter :

Yes, but first you will need to paste the text into a different document first, e.g. an email or notepad document so that the formatting is not transferred with the text.

Customer:

but will it change all the indents, etc in the rest of the doc?

ITPeter :

Then copy again from the email or notepad document to a new Word document and indent the paragraphs again.

Customer:

its a 14 page doc...

ITPeter :

Ok, in that case just reformat the problem section as described above in a new Word document, then once it looks ok, copy and paste it back into the original document.

Customer:

it will work?

ITPeter :

Yes, once the problem formatting has been removed from those paragraphs.

Customer:

I should be able to test in about 2- 3 hours, will you be around then?

Customer:

in case I have more issues... I will accept after I have resolved this.

ITPeter :

Ok.

Customer:

Thanks ITPeter, chat in a bit.

ITPeter :

Just let me know if you need anything else.

Customer:

Thanks for your help.

Pete, Computer Expert
Experience: MS Office expert