NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.

Outlook 2010 will not start

Customer Question

Outlook 2010 will not start
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  NewITZone replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

OLMAPI32.dll is installed By outlook. But when you uninstall Outlook, it does not get removed. There have been some updates giving rise to this issue.

Some checkpoints

Ensure you dont have 2 versions of outlook / office installed . If so , remove the older version and repair the other
Do you have an exchange account configured ? If not sure, you can use the Control Panel > Mail > Email accounts to check this .
Try removing the OLMAPI32.dll from the C:\Program Files\ Microsoft Office\ Office 14 (sometimes it could be Office 12). Then repair Office.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't accept your answer because i tried it and it didn't work. I uninstalled all of the Office Suite 2010 applications and just reloaded the separate application for Outlook 2010 that I purchased as a separate product (not part of the HUP purchased through my employer). The reload of the Outlook 2010 with a new set of activation codes didn't work: I keep getting the same message "Cannot Start Outlook 2010." I wondering where the problem is located. Could it be in the Registry? I'm getting disgusted with MS - you buy their products and when you try to get help directly from them you end up in a run around in circles plus they end up charging more for the support than the download cost of the product (purchased through Amazon for $110).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I followed the instructions and deleted the MS Office Suite 2010, reloaded a separately purchased Outlook 2010, and i received the same message: "Cannot start Outlook 2010" Is there anything I can do before restoring the system to an earlier point or even using the Windows Repair Disk?
Expert:  NewITZone replied 2 years ago.

OLMAPI32.dll is installed By outlook. But when you uninstall Outlook, it does not get removed. did you deleted OLMAPI32.dll file from C:\Program Files\ Microsoft Office\ Office 14 (sometimes it could be Office 12). If yes, then please try this.

Check and uninstall for any multiple or earlier version of Office installed on the computer.

Also make Outlook 2010 as not available. To do so do the following:

· Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and features.

· Click on Microsoft Office 2010 and select change.

· Select Add or remove Programs and click on Next.

· Click on the symbol next to Microsoft Outlook and select Not Available.

· Click on Continue.

Once the custom uninstallation is completed, delete the MAPI/MSMAPI Folder from the following location: C:\Program Files \Common Files\System.

Also browse to the location C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14 and rename OLMAPI32.DLL to OLMAPI32.OLD.

Once the above steps have completed, make Outlook 2010 available and check if it helps. To do so do the following:

· Click on the symbol next to Microsoft Outlook and select Run from My Computer.

· Click on Continue.

Source : microsoft.

Any more question please let me know.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have exported the content of the Profiles key to a .reg file. Do I now delete the entire key which deletes both the default subkey and the outlook subkey? Once I delete the key, is the next step to click Outlook in the all programs file? I understand I will be able to import the data from the .reg file. With this additional input, do you recommend that I proceed with deletion of the key?
Expert:  NewITZone replied 2 years ago.
At first tell me from where you export reg file? If you back up this then you can import it anytime.