Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler, Computer Engineer
Experience:  18 years troubleshooting PC/Server/Hardware/Printer and Network
21913621

I saved an attachment and then edited the file in Microsoft

Customer Question

I saved an attachment and then edited the file in Microsoft 2010. I saved it several times and now cannot find the file in any form.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Christopher Bessler replied 2 years ago.

Christopher Bessler :

Are you sure you know where you saved the file to?

Christopher Bessler :

Did you save it repeatedly over and over to the same location with the same name?

Christopher Bessler :

If so, then there was only really ever one copy of the file.

Christopher Bessler :

And if that file was deleted by mistake, corrupted, or is just gone...

Christopher Bessler :

without it being in another location also, You won't be able to get it back

Customer :

How do I make sure it is really gone? How come it would be lost if I saved it?

Christopher Bessler :

If your search does not return anything at all, and you are positive of the name, it is likely gone.

Christopher Bessler :

There are too many ways the file could have been lost to make an accurate diagnosis.

Christopher Bessler :

The file could have been corrupted by the computer being shut down while the file way active.

Christopher Bessler :

The application could haev shut down while the file was active.

Christopher Bessler :

Either of these could have happened while the file was being saved, or being closed.

Christopher Bessler :

You could have a virus or other Malware....

Customer :

I did not shut down the computer

Christopher Bessler :

There are literally hundreds of possible scenarios.

Christopher Bessler :

This is the kind of situation where looking for a root cause is kind of fruitless, because there is simply no way to be sure about it.

Customer :

I LOST THREE HOURS OF WRITING. IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD TRY?

Christopher Bessler :

You could always try a recovery program to see if it could find a delete file.

Christopher Bessler :

Something here:

Christopher Bessler :

http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download

Customer :

How do I do that?

Christopher Bessler :

This program will search for deleted files on your hard drive and try to UNDELETE them

Customer :

Thank you

Christopher Bessler :

You download the program (Recuva) and search

Christopher Bessler :

But I have to stress that this is a hail mary

Christopher Bessler :

It is possible that it will find your file, but highly unlikely.

Christopher Bessler :

It never hurts to try, though.

Christopher Bessler :

You seem to have left.

Christopher Bessler :

In the mean time I will switch this to a Q&A format question so you can come back to it at any time. I will also be notified when you make a posting.

Let me know your results, but this is what you are down to. An attempted recovery.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Let me know if you would like to continue working on this.