Viet -MS Office Tech
Viet -MS Office Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer hardware and software support; Windows 8 7 Vista XP; Microsoft Office, etc.
30037186

I have Windows 7 with Office 2010. Sometimes in the middle

Customer Question

I have Windows 7 with Office 2010. Sometimes in the middle of my PowerPoint presentation a window will pop up regarding an update of some other program such as Kaspersky Virus checker or itunes update. When I had Windows XP it locked those things out during presentations but no longer seems to be the case.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Viet -MS Office Tech replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

You can open the Kaspersky program, and go through its options/settings and look for the update option to set it to manual...

You can click on Start, All programs, then Apple Software Update, then click on Edit, then Preferences, then select Never and check OK.

You can do similar steps for other programs.

Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I give Power Point presentations sometimes up to 1000 people at a time. Your suggestion that I simply turn off a program's auto update one application at a time is simple not a viable suggestion.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

There are so many applications. Some have daily updates, others have weekly, monthly or even yearly. I am afraid that everything will go fine until another unexpected notification pops up during a critical time such as a music or media clip in the middle of PowerPoint. When this happens, the music or video clip stops and thus throws of the timing of the clip which is sometims critical to the timing of the overall PP presentation not to mention the embarrassment to Microsoft and myself publicly. Why did Microsoft not stay with the same system as XP by suspending all pop-ups during presentation mode? Do you know how to get a response to this question from the PP design team?

There are only a few programs that requires updates; Microsoft/windows does not control the updates of other programs. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
The answer you gave did not seem accurate because you suggested going through all the programs in my system and disabling each one each time I do a presentation. I would then have to manually go through later and renable each one to get updates. You also suggest that there are only a few programs that auto update. I is true that microsoft may have only a few but many other programs also have auto update features most noticably virus software which is critical.
After spending considerable time looking for a better answer I have found a few solution.
1. Your 1st question should have been, "Do you use a loptop for your presentations." ANSWER: Yes.
2. Access the Windows Mobily Centre by Pressing [Windows key]and X similtaneously. Click "Turn off" in the presentation box.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
If you use a laptop, you can quickly access settings (for example, speaker volume, wireless network connection status, and display brightness) in Windows Mobility Center. All of these settings are in one location, so you save time and don't need to remember where each setting is located. This is especially helpful when you need to quickly adjust laptop settings in different places—such as traveling from your desk to a meeting, or going from home to the airport.

Note
Presentation settings aren't available in Windows 7 Home Premium edition. They are only available in Windows 7 Ultimate, Professional, and Enterprise editions.

To open Windows Mobility Center
Press the Windows Key (not CTRL) and X at the same time.
Go to START then Help and Support, then search for Mobility Center.

Windows Mobility Center

Mobility Center displays the most commonly used settings, such as brightness, volume, battery status, and wireless network status. Different tiles are displayed depending on your system, and some tiles are added by your laptop manufacturer.

If a setting doesn't appear, it might be because the required hardware, such as a wireless network adapter, or driver is missing or turned off. For example, if the Turn wireless on button is unavailable, you might need to use the hardware switch on your computer to turn on the wireless adapter. (For more information about turning the adapter on and off, check the information that came with your computer.)

Here are some of the settings you might find in Mobility Center. Remember that not all settings are available on all laptops.

Brightness. Move the slider to temporarily adjust the brightness of your display. To adjust the display brightness settings for your power plan, click the icon to open Power Options.

Volume. Move the slider to adjust the speaker volume of your laptop, or select the Mute check box.

Battery Status. View how much charge remains on your battery or select a power plan from the list.

Wireless Network. View the status of your wireless network connection or turn your wireless network adapter on or off.

Screen Rotation. Change the orientation of your Tablet PC screen from portrait to landscape, or vice versa.

External Display. Connect an additional monitor to your laptop, or customize the display settings.

Sync Center. View the status of an in-progress file sync, start a new sync, set up a sync partnership, or change your settings in Sync Center.

Presentation Settings. Connect your laptop to a projector, and then click Turn on to get your computer ready to display a presentation. Your laptop will stay awake, and system notifications will be turned off.

Sorry, do you mean you are able to adjust the settings in windows mobility center? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. The laptop will stay awake, and system notifications will be turned off.
Great. If you have any other computer question/issue, please let me know. Thank you.