Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Trained in Microsoft Office from 2000 through to latest version 2010.
65126503

I had an AST computer for years for my business, which the

I had an AST computer for years for my business, which the company is now out of business the power supply failed, I was using windows 95, the computer repair place told me that putting my hard drive into a newer computer would work, except it would not except the graphics for all of my progams such as my business cards my proposal ect. He tells me I need the 95 drivers to down load them into the newer compute, I cant find them what do i do
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes i still need help, sorry for the delay in getting back with you but am desperate to resolve my problem finding the drivers for windows 95 to restore my computer.

Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'll be happy to help with this issue.

Can I clarify the situation - the power supply failed on an old Windows 95 PC so you are looking to move the hard drive to a new machine?

This can be done but are there specific applications that only run on Windows 95? Most of the documents could be moved to a new machine without any issues and then 95 wouldn't be needed.

An alternative would be to replace the power supply and reuse the old PC as it was - is there a model number for the AST PC?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes there is applications such as my proposals, bussiness cards, ect. my complete 15 years of customers. we tried to find a new power supply but are striking out and it was beyond repairs., my repair man says that if we had the drivers that he could down load them in the newer computer, but can't find the ones that came with the computer.
Thank you - is there a model number on this machine at all?

One possible option would be to use a new machine and then run your old machine as a virtual machine inside that one so you wouldn't need drivers etc for this.

If a new machine was running Windows 7 Professional/Ultimate for example there is a free Windows XP mode to run older applications. We could create a Windows 95 installation in the same way to use the old machine.

So, as I see it there are a few options

1) Replace Power Supply
2) Install on new hardware (requiring Windows 95 drivers)
3) Virtual Machine on new hardware (no drivers required)

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

Steve

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is there any way to find drivers for windows 95, falling behind on the buisness, would love to be able to bill some people, getting hungry
Yes, if you can give me the full model number of the AST machine we should be able to work out the drivers required.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

will run over to the repair shop and find them thank you

Thanks - let me know

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Steve the only two numbers that I could find on my old AST computer, was 503080-001 and 406axr024357. the repair man says he installed my hard drive into a Dell DHP optiplex GX60 Ser.# XXXXX He also said that the drivers that we need are the video drivers, and the land drivers. and then all my problems will be solved hope you can help. Thanks
Thanks - looking into that now.

Cheers

Steve
Ok, it doesn't look like the Graphics card on the Dell GX60 has ever had Windows 95 drivers supplied by Intel so this may not be an option.

Depending on what Network card it was shipped with then that side of things might be possible

If it's a 3Com network card then there is a Windows 95 driver available here

http://download.cnet.com/Network-3C905C-Integrated-Network-Card-Driver/3000-2112_4-109009.html

If it's an Intel network card then Intel have not released Windows 95 drivers, they have only provided Windows 2000 drivers at the earliest.

Given the driver situation it might be difficult to get it fully working on the Dell, but if it has a 3Com card then that will get the networking going at least

Let me know

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hey Steve I know you have ben working hard to help me, but still bating 0. Can windows 95 be updated to xp without loosing any of my data. or compermizing my programs?

Unfortunately it's not possible to upgrade direct from Windows 95 to XP, the system would need to be reinstalled from scratch with the XP media.

However, the data could be backed up from the 95 system and it should be possible to get most programs that worked on 95 working on XP - can you let me know what programs you need to run on the system?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

microsoft publisher 97, micosoft works, corel

Thanks - those applications should work fine on Windows XP provided you have the installation discs etc.

It should then be a case of backing up documents/e-mails etc on the Windows 95 installation and making sure you have this safe.

Then Windows XP could be installed on the Dell GX60 and the applications reinstalled and data copied back.

Cheers

Steve

Experience: Trained in Microsoft Office from 2000 through to latest version 2010.