NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.

I created a program in publisher and now when I try to open

Customer Question

I created a program in publisher and now when I try to open it I just get a message saying "publisher cannot open the document" Help please!
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  HandyDan217 replied 2 years ago.

HandyDan217 :

Hello. Can you please tell me what operating system you are running as well as the version of publisher? Is the problem limited to just a single file or does this happen on all publisher documents?

Customer :

just this one document. i apologize that this is my daughters computer so I dont know a lot about it

Customer :

windows 7

Customer :

publisher 13

Customer :

03 lol

HandyDan217 :

Publisher 2003?

Customer :

yes

HandyDan217 :

Ok. Microsoft has released an automated HotFix for this issue that may work for you. Please download and run the HotFix on the machine. It is located here

Customer :

it appears it has downloaded, but doc still will not open

HandyDan217 :

Did the hotfix report that it ran successfully?

Customer :

it says "this microsoft fixit has been processed"

HandyDan217 :

Ok. Can you tell if you run antivirus software on your system? And if so, what program are you using?

Customer :

i see something about windows defender and windows firewall but not much else

Customer :

a McAfee icon on the desktop

HandyDan217 :

Ok. The reason i ask is because in some older versions of Norton Antivirus, the scanner was known to cause this issue. But as long as you do not have an old version of Norton running we will dismiss that as a possibility.

HandyDan217 :

Can you send me a copy of the publisher document that you are having trouble with so I may review the file? You can upload it at http://www.wikisend.com and supply me with the download code that it supplies.

Customer :

Ill certainly try

Customer :

364988 file id...is that what you need?

HandyDan217 :

Got it. Thank you. It will take me a couple minutes to review the file. Please standby

Customer :

thank you

Customer :

anything yet?

HandyDan217 :

It appears that the file contains to data. It is only 87kb in total size. Even one very basic page with a simple line of text would result in a larger file size than that. The file data is completely missing. This file is not going to be of any use. Windows 7 does have a file recovery process built in if you want to revert the file to a previously cached version if the system restore function is enabled in your system. I would suggest right-clicking on the file and selecting "Restore previous versions" to see if there are any cache copies available you can revert to.

HandyDan217 :

typo correction: "It appears the file contains NO data"

Customer :

no previous versions available

HandyDan217 :

Unfortunately it appears the file is completely corrupted. I will be unable to recover anything from the file. If no previous versions are available then I do not have any other options. I will leave your question open for other Experts to review however and hopefully we will be able to find a solution.

Customer :

does that mean it did not "'save"? because we did ctrl s several times through out the creation of the doc.

HandyDan217 :

It appears the file did "save", but the data become corrupted for some reason. This could be caused by a number of different reasons (e.g. Hard drive failure, file system corruption, a bug in the software, etc..) The list can be rather extensive. I do not have a very satisfactory answer for you at this time and can only hope that other experts will be able to assist you better with your situation. Please standby while other Experts review your case.

Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!