Erik B.
Erik B., Consultant
Experience:  Well versed in several editions of Microsoft Office.
18224842

I am not able to open Word 2010 or Excel 2010 as of yesterday.

I am not able to open Word 2010 or Excel 2010 as of yesterday. It has said something about a "virtualization Handler" How can I open these programs to recover my data and continue using them? I have been using these programs for a couple of years and I need the data!
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

OK the first thing we should try is a repair of the Microsoft Office suite. Please do the following:

1. Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and press the R key to open the Run window.
  2. Type appwiz.cpl and click OK to open the list of programs on your computer.
  3. Scroll down to your Microsoft Office 2010 suite.
  4. Highlight that entry and click the Change button.
  5. Choose to Repair the installation and then choose to Reinstall all files.
  6. Once the repair completes, try starting Word or Excel. They should now work, but let me know if they still don't.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Received "the language of this installation system is not supported by your system" What's next?
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.

How interesting. OK in that case the best thing to do here is probably a system restore to the day before yesterday, since the problem just started occurring. Please try these instructions and let me know if they do not solve the problem. You can get back to me after the reboot by going to http://www.justanswer.com/ and clicking on My Stuff -> My Questions, then clicking the link for this question.

1. Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore.
  2. Click Next on the first window.
  3. Click the box for Show More Restore Points so that all points are displayed.
  4. Pick a restore point that was before the problem with Word and Excel started happening.
  5. Click Next.
  6. Click Finish and wait for the restore to complete (the system will reboot).
  7. After the reboot, check to make sure Word and Excel work correctly. If they do, I recommend running Windows Update to make sure everything is up to date.

Erik B., Consultant
Experience: Well versed in several editions of Microsoft Office.