Val B
Val B, Analyst / Trainer
Experience:  Expert in solving Microsoft Office problems.
36150026

Hi, Im not sure if I have a programing problem exactly.

Customer Question

I'm not sure if I have a programing problem exactly. What I have is two access database that were downloaded into excel and then combined. The 'data' contained in this spreadsheet is a combination of alpha and numeric and consists of approximatly 31,500 part numbers with @ 25 columns of related information. I've recently been doing a large update of information and adding columns. I'm encountering a problem where I did a sort, copied the result and pasted into another column (transfered data from one column to another) - the result was that it threw the data out of sync with it's part number.

I'm wondering if there are imbedded formulas remaining from the access download, and if this may be why the data shifts.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Val B replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

No formulas would be transferred over from Access to Excel. I would advise you to check your formatting in the new column. Typically an alpha-numeric field such as a part number will need a custom format to display correctly.

If you would like to upload the Excel spreadsheet I can take a look at it as well.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Val B.

What do you think is causing the shift of data in columns that are not involved in the edits I'm doing?

Expert:  Val B replied 4 years ago.

Could you send me an example of before and after data? Thanks