Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

How can I run an e-mail mail merge using Outlook and/or Word

How can I run an e-mail mail merge using Outlook and/or Word 2007 that allows me to put in multiple addresses in the To field (e.g, several contacts from a particular client), multiple addresses in the cc: field (all of my in-house people who are connected with that client, and another address in the bcc: fiield?

I've got a data sheet ready (with appropriate addresses separated by semi-colons in the To: XXXXX XXXXX: fields for each record) - but don't see how to connect that to an e-mail merge.

Can it be done within native Outlook/Word? Or is there an add-in you could recommend? Thank you!
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

RichieMe :

Hi there and welcome

RichieMe :

To do this

RichieMe :

Select the tab Mailings-> click the Start Mail Merge button-> Step by Step Mail Merge Wizard…

RichieMe :

in word

RichieMe :

The Task Pane panel will open on the right side of the document to choose the document type.
Here select “E-mail messages”.

RichieMe :

Press Next

"Select from Outlook contacts".

As you can have multiple Contacts folders in Outlook you need to select the actual folder which we will be using by pressing "Choose Contacts Folder".

RichieMe :

After selecting the Contact folder of your choice you could be presented with the "Choose Profile" dialog from Outlook. If you don’t know this dialog there is probably one selection in the drop down list anyway or set to the correct default so simply press OK.

Word now opens the "Mail Merge Recipients" dialog where you can specify which contacts to send to.
While the dialog in Word 2007 has been improved to allow for more selecting and filtering options than in previous versions of Word, personally I think it’s still a bit clunky and can be slow when you have a lot of contacts as it also refreshes the screen after pretty much every action. However, the "Find duplicates…" feature is quite handy especially when you want to use the entire Contacts folder for your mail merge.

RichieMe :

After selecting the recipients, the next step is to write your message. The Mail Merge Wizard already shows you some variables you can use.

The next step allows you to preview all the emails you’ll eventually be sending.

You can press "Electronic Mail…" to set the final options before mailing your message

To: Email_Address
Subject line: Your personal information

After setting the options, pressing OK will direct start sending the emails.

RichieMe :

Let me know please if you have any difficulties

Customer:

I don't think you've read my question carefully. I'm trying to do something beyond an ordinary merge 1-address-at-a-time merge - specifically, for EACH message I am going to send, I need to be able to assign several addresses to the To field, several addresses to the cc: field, and one address to the bcc: field. Is there a way to control this in Office? Or is there perhaps an add-in that you would recommend?

Customer:

I have to leave, but will be interested in your reply. Many thanks!

RichieMe :

ok, what you are going to need to do is export your contacts from outlook to a CSV file

RichieMe :

You then open this CSV in Excel and put all the email addresses into the primary email seperated by a ;

RichieMe :

this way all the email addresses are in one cell

RichieMe :

you then make a new address box in Outlook and import the CSV file into it

RichieMe :

and perform the merge from this

RichieMe :

Let me know if you have any difficulties please

Customer:

Ok - I get that this is not the best forum for this involved a question. And I now understand that you're not getting paid much for the exchange. But I'd like to try one last time, since I did pay $39 for this, and if there's really something useful in your response, I'd very much like to get it. Exporting to csv I get. But are you suggesting I essentially put all the addresses in the To: XXXXX XXXXX send a signle e-mail to multiple addressees? If you're suggesting something different, then I do need further explanation. What does "make a new address box in Outlook" mean? And how would I import the CSV file into it? And how would I perform the merge from whatever that thing is? Thanks for your patience!

RichieMe :

no problem!

RichieMe :

and note I only get paid when you click Accept

RichieMe :

now what I meant is this

RichieMe :

put all the different contact addresses in to main address list in the exported Excel list

RichieMe :

seperated by a ;

RichieMe :

eg: joe @ me.com;Joe @ work.com; Joe 2 home.com

RichieMe :

once done, them make a new profile in Outlook by click Start, Control Panel, Mail

RichieMe :

Go to profiles, and add a new one

RichieMe :

it can be any email adderess ect, we just want a new address book

RichieMe :

Then on the new profile, click File, Import, and import the CSV file into the address book

RichieMe :

this will have the contact with the multiple email addresses in the main email address

RichieMe :

you can then do the mail merge based on this new address book (contacts)

RichieMe :

does that make sense?

Customer:

Ah - yes. Now I do get it. Thanks very much, Richie. Best, JC

RichieMe :

your very welcome!

RichieMe :

please remember to click Accept

RichieMe :

and take care

Richard, Software Specialist
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues