HandyDan217
HandyDan217, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Microsoft Office is my specialty.
66948894

RA - 112

Customer Question

I am having trouble upgrading to Microsoft Project Pro 2010 from Project Pro 2007 on my XP Pro SP3 computer. I can reinstall Project Pro 2007 or any other programs with no problem. But when I try to install Microsoft Project Pro 2010, I get the following error in the Event Viewer: "The description for Event ID (11728) in Source (MsiInstaller) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or messages DLL files to display messages from a remote computer." I have spent hours troubleshooting. I have Admin rights on the computer, and I have also tried to install it using a different admin account. I have tried removing Project Pro 2007 and cleaning the registry. I have tried reinstalling MsiInstaller 4.5. I have tried installing in Safe Mode. I have tried installing the Project Pro 2010 Trial Version, and I get the same error. I was able to successfully install the program on another computer, so I know it is not the software. Due to a possible license conflict, I removed Project 2010 from the other computer after a successful install. Nothing has worked so far. Do you have an answer? :)
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am still looking for an answer. Thanks.

Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly

Expert:  HandyDan217 replied 4 years ago.
Hello! The issue you are having may suggest some registry corruption in your MSIServer for your XP SP3 machine. Please open/import this registry file into your system to rebuild the MSI Server service and reboot the machine and try again

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I imported the registry file and rebooted, but it failed again with the same error in the Event Viewer.
Ok. This may be a conflict with the installation MSI source and the some configuration in the system. There should be an alternative installer with the software called Setup.exe . Can you locate that setup file and launch it? It will not rely on the MSI installer service of windows.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was using the "setup.exe" file to install Project 2010.
Ok. How about we do a hail mary attempt to get this going for you?

Try This:
1.) Run the Office 2007 clean up tool (this will remove ALL Office 2007 products and configurations)
2.) Run the Office 2010 cleanup tool as well.
3.) Reboot
4.) Try installing Project again.

2007 cleanup tool: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9669698
2010 cleanup tool: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9737366

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, but I will not be able to run the cleanup tools until this afternoon. I am working, and of course, need to use Office 2007.
No problem. Just get back to me later.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had some time, so I ran the Office 2007 and Office 2010 cleanup tools and also removed Project 2007. I then rebooted and tried to install Project 2010 and got the same error. What I don't understand is how I can reinstall Project 2007 with no error.
Unfortunately I do not have any other solutions for you. My best guess is that somewhere alone the line something became corrupt in your file system or registry which will be very hard to track down. You may end up needing to reinstall the operating system to correct the problem. But let go ahead and leave your question open for all other Experts to review here and hope we can find a better solution for you. Please standby while your issue is reviewed and researched further.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My expert has not resolved the problem except for the option of reinstalling the OS. He is going to leave the question open for others to review.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am still waiting for an answer. I would like another Expert to review my question. "HandyDan217" said the only solution might be to reinstall the OS, but I would like to avoid reinstalling the OS.

Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Please continue searching for the professional to answer the question.
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 4 years ago.
Please understand that it’s rare when we cannot find the right Professional Nevertheless, because you are entitled to your money back with no questions asked, we will process your refund immediately, upon your request. Please accept our sincere apology. We hope you’ll think of us again when the need arises
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Please refund the money to my credit card. Thank you.
Please understand that it’s rare when we cannot find the right Professional . Nevertheless, because you are entitled to your money back with no questions asked, we will process your refund immediately. Please accept our sincere apology. We hope you’ll think of us again when the need arises.