Outlook 2010 Search funtion display hits that aren't part of search criteria.
Using Windows 7 Professional, 64bit
Your suggestion didn’t work. I’m an IT consultant myself so I’ve looked into all the standard things I can think to do.
The problem is not confined to one PC. It’s doing it on all of the users that I installed Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010. I’m running XP Pro, SP3 on some PCs and Windows 7
When I’m in a given folder, say the Inbox, and search on something like “server”, I get tons of hits. Many, however, have the word “server” in it. Even after opening each hit, there is no evidence of the word server “server”.
Here’s what I’ve done so far. In Outlook, File, Search I changed the setting to remain in current folder, I removed all search locations except Outlook then I reindexed. In the account setup for all the users I set Cached Exchange Mode on. I used to keep it off.
What else do you need to know?
I don’t care about the fee or how much it costs. I’ve spent hours on this already. I just want to get the situation resolved.
If you need to talk to me I'm available any time incluuding the weekend.
Thank you. John xxxx, XXX-XXX-XXXX-c
It may be a bug but becaue it's happening to all of my users - for different clients - I can't beleive others haven't had the same problem.
In my previous note where I wrote "Many, however, have the word “server” in it." I meant to say "Many don't, however, have the word “server” in it."
Thank you. John
You can try deleting and rebuilding your Windows 7 index:
Start > type "index" in the search field. At the top click on "Indexing Options". Click on Advanced then Rebuild
Try creating a new Outlook profile.
You may be missing the point. This is happening to ALL of my clients at various companies where ever I have Office 2010 installed so it can't be just a bad Outlook profile. There has to be a setting that fixes this or a patch of some sort.
Please don't take pot shots at this. If you haven't heard of this problem and don't know how to fix it, can you pass it onto someone who might have heard of this?
Creating a new profile is a Microsoft recommended fix for Outlook search problems and something that I did a week ago to fix a different Outlook problem after an upgrade.
As you know email systems are very complex and troubleshooting requires hit or miss tries to find the solution.
I will opt out as well but hope you find your answer.
What is your recommendation for creating a new Outlook profile? All clients effected use Exchange.
Hi , i would assume you have access to the exchange server it self. As a test turn off the "Microsoft exchange search indexer" service on the exchange server. you may have to temporarily set it to disabled, because it will startup on its own.
I have had many search issues with exchange 2007 - 2010 and this seems to be the fix.
I recreated a few Outlook profiles at your suggestion. Again, nothing changed.
Here’s a recap of what the problem is. I am running a network that is using Windows Server 2003 SBS and Exchange 2003 SP2. I recently installed Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010. The search routine in Outlook is horrible and I can’t get it to stabilize. I am having this problem at several client sites (I’m an IT consultant) so the problem is not isolated to one user or PC.
The problem is that each search is returning items that have nothing to do with the search word. An example of the problem is that when a user goes to search on say, “server”, in Outlook 2010 Inbox, fifty or more hits are returned. Many, however, don’t have the word “server” anywhere including in the body of the email.
Does this sound familiar? Because it’s happening seemingly everywhere I surprised I can’t find a fix for it.
I'm on the Exchange server but do not have a service called "Microsoft exchange search indexer" Nothing even close.
John - I turned off Microsoft Search on the server last night per your suggestion and have turned it over to my client to see if it helped. Give me a day or two for them to respond.
Don't you think it's odd that some of the search results have nothing to do with the search word(s) being used? I'm trying to determine if this is the norm, which I doubt, or if there is really a problem that you and I are working on.
I've been researching this problem more and I believe the problem is Exchange 2003 with the Outlook 2010 client.
At first glance when comparing the compatibility charts for Outlook 2010 it looks like only a few features of Outlook 2010 are supported with Exchange 2003 server and Instant Search was not listed:
However, when I looked at the Outlook 2007 compatibility chart it specifically states that the Instant Search feature is NOT supported with Exchange 2003 server.
The difference is that Instant Search is optional in Outlook 2007 but it is automatic in Outlook 2010; therein lies your problem.
I would recommend going back to Outlook 2007 for your clients and make a recommendation to upgrade Exchange using the lists of unavailable features found in the links above.
This is excellent! It's exactly what I was looking for! Thank you! John