Lindie-mod
Lindie-mod,

Someone sent me an excel file in .xslx, but when I downloaded

Customer Question

Someone sent me an excel file in .xslx, but when I downloaded it, winzip is automatically grabbing it and trying to re-zip it... please help.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Lets try this as a first step.

Close winzip if its open.

Now, right click the xlsx file, now left click open with, left click default program.

Now, choose excel.

Then click ok.

Now, try to open the file.. Does that resolve the winzip issue?

You can get back to me on this same question, the same way you have been doing.. Just send me a reply.

Or..

Log into JustAnswer.com, then on the Top right, click on my questions

Then, click the "reply to expert" next to my face..

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried that, excel isn't recognizing the format though...
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.

What version of Excel and office do you have, 2003?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It doesn't say, but I think its old.

1985-2001 The Microsoft Corporation
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Ahhh.. I think its too old to view the file!!

Lets try this.

Below is a free file, called excel viewer. It wont let you edit the spreadsheet itself, but you can at least view it.

Its a free download.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10

Please download it, install it, and then run it.. Once its fully installed and says finished.

Try again to open that file, except this time.. Open it through the excel viewer program we just installed.

If it will open, and im positive it should. That tells us your excel program is too old.

You will either want to upgrade to either excel and office 2007.. Or..

You will want to install this free office suite that is compatible with newer excel files and newer office files.

http://www.openoffice.org/

If you run into further questions, or have any issues. Please let me know!

Thanks, Dustin

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm on a Mac, is there a version for OS X?
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Aha..

Since you have a Mac.. ( depending on whether you have Intel, or power pc)

You can use the Office 2011 trial for now, which will at least allow you to view the file.

You can download the free trial from this link.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac

If you want open office, here is a direct link for the Mac version. ( open office is the free office suite)

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/openofficeorg.mirror/stable/3.3.0/OOo_3.3.0_MacOS_x86_install_en-US.dmg?r=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.openoffice.org%2Fdownload%2Fother.html&ts=1336076934&use_mirror=softlayer

if you have any further questions, let me know..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Open Source is working, sort of. After I opened the file, all the boxes are blank. But I did a search for a keyword I know is in there and it located it for me.... how do I make everything visible?
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Try resaving the page as an open office document.

Then closing it, opening it, and then viewing it.

If it still looks blank.. try checking your views in calc ( the open office program that opens excel files)

It may have one of your views blocked, or turned off.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do you mean, check my views in 'calc'? Can we go to chat mode please?
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Calc, is the open office program that handles Excel files.

When you view the file in calc

At the top of the screen there should be a view function.

Click it, and tell me what you see next.. Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can we go to chat?

Normal, Page Break, etc... there is a lot of things there.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
I had to look it up, as there were changes made in the new version.

Choose Tools > Options > OpenOffice.org Calc > General.

then, click view under calc on the left hand menu.

Now make sure all objects are set to "show"

And for good measure, lets put a check mark in all the view boxes to show everything listed.

Then. save the settings, and try to view the file. It should be showing all the data.

If not.. Then you may want to download and install Office 2011 trial. as there could be compatibility issues between office for windows, and open office for mac, or vice versa.

I cant be sure how the file was created or in what version and platform of the program.

If nothing above helped, then office 2011 is your best bet

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is no options option under Tools....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I didn't see "options" under Tools... any advice?
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

I am another expert on this site. Let me know if you still need help with this as I have a suggestion which might work

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I still need help.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Ok one moment please..

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Ok try downloading the file again, then after you click Save button you will get a Save dialog box similar to the one shown in this screenshot

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Select the file name in the File Name field and simply change the zip extension to xlsx (so in the example above the file name would be Book1.xlsx). Then click Save and you should be good to go

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
John, I have the file in .XLSX already...
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

You said in your initial question that the xlsx file is coming through as a zip file. Hence my reply addresses that issue so you can download it as an xlsx file

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. I said I have an XLSX, and after I download it, winzip automatically grabs it and tries to re-zip it.

Are you able to see my prior discussion with the other expert? The issue now is that my old version of Microsoft Excel won't open it...

We tried OpenOffice, but after I open it, all the cells are white. However, the odd part is that, I know the information is there, because I can see it on the view bar at the top. (I changed the color to black to confirm it wasn't white on white but that didn't help).
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

I thought I answered your original question, but if you didn't find my answer helpful I will opt out so the question becomes open

Expert:  HandyDan217 replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is Dan and i would be glad to help you with your issue. I can take your Excel file and convert it to a format that is compatible with your older version of Excel. If you can upload the file to http://www.wikisend.com i will convert the file and send you back a copy of it that will work for you. Once you upload the file, please supply me with the file ID that the website generates for the upload.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the offer but I have found a solution on my own. I wish we had met days ago when I originally had the question.

Steve
No Problem. I'm just glad you found a solution!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dan, I have to say that I'm not satisfied with my expert to close it out. I hope it doesn't go against you... any recommendations?
I will opt out of the question to take my name off it. Feel free to leave feedback as you feel appropriate. Thanks!
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!