John D
John D, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant

I am required by the state to submit a csv file with a limited

Customer Question

I am required by the state to submit a csv file with a limited number of columns. To this point all my csv files have 1,200 columns. Is there a way to eliminate the columns I don't use? The state requires only 28 columns of information.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

How are you opening these csv files?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We are not opening the files, the state of California is. They say they can't read the files because there program reads too many columns.
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, you need to open these files using Microsoft Excel. Once opened, you have to delete the columns you don't need and save the document or alternatively you can copy the columns you need to a new csv document. That is the best way to work around your data.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Perhaps I was unclear, The entity we are attempting to work with is the California Franchise Tax Board (FTB). We are submitting a csv worksheet using office 2008. Although there are only 28 required columns of info on our csv submission we receive the following message.

Their error message to us is as follows: "The number of columns in the file, {1288}, is greater than the 28 required columns."

I guess my question should be, can we eliminate the empty columns that contain no information from the csv spreadsheet and only submit a csv. file with a total of 28 columns.
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 2 years ago.
Can you copy these 28 columns of data to a new sheet and save it as a csv file, that should eliminate the empty data fields if any.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We've tried that with the mac and a pc but the empty columns still show when viewing the csv file in excel
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure, I will opt out.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

I am another expert on this site

If the csv file is opened in Excel it will have to show all the empty columns. There is a workaround but for that to work the csv file needs to be saved and sent as an Excel file

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions or need further instructions

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is the workaround, They specifically have asked for a csv format...for whom is the workaround and what do we need to do.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

As I said if the file is to be sent as a csv file and if they are going to open in a spreadsheet program such as Excel, OpenOffice etc, there is now way the empty columns can be hidden. Any other solution will require saving it and sending is Excel file. I thought I had explained all that in my previous post

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have no idea what program the state of California uses to open our csv file. They require a csv format which we have supplied them with and it seems to be in error. Thanks for your effort in this matter
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

You're welcome. Let me know if you need further assistance with this