Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years

i lost my product key but i did res the computer that i got

i lost my product key but i did res the computer that i got in 2007 or 2008 i have vista
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Do you still have the installation DVD for your MS Office software?
Is this a new installation or were you able to use this MS Office before and now you are trying to reinstall it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no just the up grade disc
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for writing back.

Is the MS Office software (the one that the product key is lost) still installed in a computer and still working?

Please let me know so that I can help you get a tool that can dig for the key that you used before.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it was vista home p my computer broke down had it fix thats when it ask for key
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
put in upgrade still ask for key
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can u help?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
I am trying to help.

So are you saying that the old computer with a working Office is dead already or is rebuilt which now requires the product key?

Do you still have the CD or DVD case of the original installer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no but have the up grade case and disc

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Is there a key printed in the upgrade disc or case?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
In order to install an UPGRADE, you need a BASE software. That is, if you want to upgade from MS Office 2003 to MS Office 2007, you need to install MS Office 2003 FIRST then install the upgrade.

In your case now, do you still have the base version of office?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have install upgrade and did not put in key ask me later click on to that
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
You upgraded to MS Office 2007. What was your base version of Office? Was it 2003? Do you still have the installer of that base office version?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
dont know?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Like what I already mentioned, in order for an UPGRADE disc to work, you first need to install a base product. That is how Microsoft Upgrade works.

For instance, if you had MS Office 2003 and you want to upgrade it to MS Office 2007 Upgrade, you need to install the Upgrade Disc on top of the base product that is MS Office 2003.

Without the base product, you cannot install an Upgrade disc.

Please check if you still have the disc for lower versions of office then install it first prior to installing the upgrade version.

Regards,
Jess

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years