DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Computer Analyst
Experience:  BSci: Electrical Engr., Industrial Engr, and Computer Sci.

How do I stop Excel 2010 telling me the "clipboard is full

Customer Question

How do I stop Excel 2010 telling me the "clipboard is full"
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Good evening. I'm XXXXX XXXXX, a/k/a "DrKlahn."

It's possible to increase the Clipboard size as a side effect of increasing other system settings. However, I must admit that I'm greatly surprised to find an issue with filling up the Clipboard from Excel; the Clipboard should be able to hold hundreds of megabytes on a normal system.

To research the proper procedure for your system, please let me know what version of Windows (98 / NT / 2000 / Me / XP / 2003 / Vista / 7 / 8 / Server) is running on the target system, and whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit.

To determine which version of Windows is running on the host system, press the Windows key and R key simultaneously. A prompt box will come up. Click in the prompt box and type

winver

and then click OK. This will produce a small window that identifies the version of Windows.

If the system is running Windows 98, NT, Me, 2000, or XP (in nearly all cases), it is a 32-bit system. For Windows Vista, 7 and 8, if you don't know whether the host system is running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows, open a web browser and go to the following Microsoft web page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

Scroll down the page, click on the FixIt, and follow the instructions to run it. This will identify the system as either 32-bit or 64-bit.

Once you know the version of Windows on the target machine, and whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit, let me know this information and I'll be able to locate the proper procedure.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Bruce

I am using Windows 7 version 6.1 and it is a 32bit system

Irvin

Expert:  DrKlahn replied 2 years ago.

Here's the procedure. I'm not sure how much additional space is required, so you may have to bump the size up several times before finding a value that solves the problem.

Increasing by 100 MB at a time is a good choice; this will not gobble up too much disk per increase, and at the same time should result in a resolution fairly quickly. On most Windows systems, a size of 1000 MB is a good value. On the XP system in the example below, it's set to 900 MB.

Do not increase the virtual memory beyond 2400 MB. This would indicate some other problem in the system.

1. Click the "Start" button. Type "sysdm.cpl" into the search box and press the "Enter" key.

2. Click the "Advanced" tab in the "System Properties" window. Click the "Settings" button under the "Performance" label header.

3. Click the "Advanced" tab in the "Performance Options" window. Under the "Virtual Memory" header, click the "Change..." button.

4. Clear the check box next to the "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" option. This disables automatic "Virtual Memory" settings in Windows.

5. Enter a value for the size of the new paging file. Enter a value larger than the current paging file size in the "Maximum Size" field (enter the value in megabytes). Click the "Set" button and then "OK."

6. Restart the computer for the new "Virtual Memory" settings to take effect. The Windows Clipboard now stores more data when copying and pasting between applications. If the Clipboard still overflows, increase the page file size and try again.

I've attached a screenshot of what the Virtual Memory setup page looks like on an XP system; Windows 7 will look similar.

graphic

When/if you find a value that works, let me know. The page file will be in fragments as a result of bumping the size up, so it will be prudent to do a one-time special defragmentation using the Microsoft Page Defrag tool to clean it up.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Bruce

Problem still exists, will contact local problem fixer

Thanks
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 2 years ago.

My pleasure. Shall I pass this question back to the available question list? Another expert may have an insight that I do not.