maomd
maomd, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Fifteen years plus providing efficient computer solutions, no matter how small or large.
31474244

How create disitrubiton list in exchange? I created distrogroup

How create disitrubiton list in exchange? I created distrogroup in AD, but i need that group of people to have a group email name as well
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  maomd replied 2 years ago.

Which version of Exchange are you using?

Thanks,
Mark
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mark, its exchange 2010. I can rdp into it, but is there any kind of snap in i can use to manage it from my desktop?

Expert:  maomd replied 2 years ago.
Yep, and you will need to create the distribution group within the Exchange Management Console.

To install the EMC on your desktop, you will need the Exchange 2010 installation DVD. Start the Exchange installation to your desktop and uncheck everything but EMC. Let the install finish and you can then manage it directly from your computer.

Here is a guide on configuring distribution groups.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks Mark, i dont know where the dvd is, do you know if i can download it from somewhere
Expert:  maomd replied 2 years ago.
They don't make it an easy download without the DVD.
You'll need to download the Exchange 2010 Trial and install the management console from there. After installation, you should be good as the console included in the trial is the same on the DVD. No expiration.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hmm, just tried to configure my server and got this. Any ideas?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

forgot pic

graphic

Expert:  maomd replied 2 years ago.
Right-click Microsoft Exchange and tell it to connect to your Exchange server.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
? what do you mean, you mean log into exchange? Because in the EMC theres no option for it, and i get the message i just attached in the pic
Expert:  maomd replied 2 years ago.
At the very top left you need to right click and tell it to connect to the server.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  maomd replied 2 years ago.
Everything looks okay if all you did was install the console. Open Microsoft Exchange On-Premises to manage your server. If that fails, check out this page.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Juts heads up, it has to be the same exchange service pack version or rollup version on work station as server, so i had to install exchange service pack 1 and it works now. So now i have the console on my station, how can i take an existing distirbution group in AD and simply give it an email name?
Expert:  maomd replied 2 years ago.
Ah yes, they do have to be the same.
In the EMC, tell it to create a new distribution group. In the wizard that appears, you should be able to pick the existing AD group.
maomd, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Fifteen years plus providing efficient computer solutions, no matter how small or large.
Expert:  maomd replied 2 years ago.
Did that work or do you still need assistance with this?
If you are satisfied with my answer, you may Accept at anytime.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
im very pleased thank you, XXXXX XXXXX to ask you another question but ill accept this first
Expert:  maomd replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the Accept!
You can ask me another question directly on my profile.