Lindie-mod
Lindie-mod,

RA - 112

Customer Question

Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem when running a macro from a button on a toolbar. When I'm in Visual Basic editor and run the macro there, it doesn't error out. I'm using Excel 2003 on Windows XP Professional SP3. If you launch Excel Workbook and do nothing it will work. If you go into VBA and modify it>compile>save it will crash
If you go into VBA and do NOT modify it but rather simply compile it and save>it will crash

I believe it must be an issue b/w 97/2000 Excel references (possibly object libraries) vs. Excel 2003 11.0 library. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

The following procedure could resolve this issue

Open the Excel file that is giving you the error or causing the crash

Open the Visual Basic Editor window

Click Tools > References

Look for any item in the list that is called MISSING

If you find uncheck the box next to it

Hope this helps

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So the reference item would be actually called 'MISSING'?

Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is correct. Scroll down looking for any item called "MISSING" and uncheck it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

None of the items are showing as 'MISSING'

Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.

In that case I will opt out so the question becomes open to all experts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Actual error is 'Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close'.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's getting late. I will check my answers in the morning. I'm on PST time. Appreciate any assistance on this issue over the next day or so. If there is some logging of errors I can turn on or review existing log files for excel errors that may help.

Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still waiting for an answer. I looked for MISSING in the references as suggested but it wasn't there and that's where we left off.
Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly

Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still waiting for an answer. Will keep checking. Thanks in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like you to keep on searching for a qualified professional.
Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see that you have not received any response from another expert yet. I will give it another shot but I will need to see that file. Would you be able to attach the file with your reply here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd be happy to supply the excel file but not sure how to do that. Please supply instructions. Thanks in advance.
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.
Please understand that it’s rare when we cannot find the right Professional Nevertheless, because you are entitled to your money back with no questions asked, we will process your refund immediately, upon your request. Please accept our sincere apology. We hope you’ll think of us again when the need arises
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please refund my money immediately since I was not able to resolve the issue. Thanks in advance.
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.
Please understand that it’s rare when we cannot find the right Professional . Nevertheless, because you are entitled to your money back with no questions asked, we will process your refund immediately. Please accept our sincere apology. We hope you’ll think of us again when the need arises.